Dear prospective student of French, German and/or Spanish,
If you have not previously studied French, German, or Spanish, you may simply enroll in the beginning course in any of the three languages (French, German, or Spanish 105).
If you have studied French, German, or Spanish in high school, college, or elsewhere and you wish to continue study in any one or more of those languages, you will need to take an on-line placement test to help you determine the proper course in which to enroll. If you are a native speaker of the language you wish to study, you must also take the placement test.
To take an on-line test:
- Click "start placement test" below to be directed to the WebCAPE placement exam page.
- You will be prompted to enter the password, whittie, then click "login".
- Select French, German, or Spanish and click "Begin".
- That selection will take you to the beginning page for the language you selected where you must:
- Enter your name, 7-digit Whitman ID number (WID from your information in the first orientation packet), and your Whitman email address. (NOTE: If you have not activated your Whitman email account Click Here.)
- Complete the section called "University Information".
- Complete the section called "Language Experience" which helps fine-tune your placement.
- If you have other language experience, complete the section called "Other Language Experience".
- If you need to go back, please click "Back" or to begin the exam click "Continue".
- On completion of the French, German, or Spanish placement test you will be told (on-line) the number of the course in which you should enroll. You will not be able to enroll in that course until a member of the faculty of the Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures has viewed and authorized your placement with the Registrar's Office.
- You are welcome to take the placement tests for any or all 3 of the languages. Just begin again on the placement homepage and follow the same procedure.
- For your own records, please write down the placement score and language course in which you placed.
Start Placement Test