Life in Walla Walla
Visit Walla Walla Getting to Walla Walla
Walla Walla, Washington, is a beautiful community located in the foothills of the Blue Mountains. The city is home to about 34,000 people, three institutions of higher education, and thriving agricultural and viticultural industries. Walla Walla experiences ample sunshine and all four seasons, with dry summers and mild winters.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Walla Walla is within driving distance of excellent hiking and biking trails, the Columbia and Snake Rivers, the breathtaking Palouse Falls and Bluewood ski resort.
Our serene setting, friendly community and growing wine industry has placed Walla Walla at the top of many must-see travel lists. In 2019, Travel + Leisure named Walla Walla a must visit for wine lovers. It’s also frequently lauded for the charming, historic Main Street, which is home to boutique shops and gourmet restaurants. Our award-winning Main Street is within walking distance of Whitman’s campus, and students can often be found studying and hanging out in downtown coffee shops and patisseries.
Walla Walla Rankings and Recognition
- No. 1: “Best Wine Region,” 2022, USA Today
- No. 7: “Best Cities to Live in Washington,” 2019, Chamber of Commerce
- No. 3: “America’s 25 Cutest Main Streets in Small(er) Towns,” 2018, Fodor's Travel
- No. 1: “Best Small City Road Trip Destinations,” 2018, Travelocity
- “Best Small Places for Businesses and Careers,” 2018, Forbes
- “Best Wine Town,” 2018, Sunset Magazine
- “The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2018,” Travel + Leisure
- “The Ten Most Beautiful Towns in Washington,” 2015, The Culture Trip
- “One of the 10 best small towns in America,” 2013, Fodor's
- “One of the world’s 10 best wine travel destinations,” 2014, Wine Enthusiast
- Home to “One of 100 best modern courses,” 2014, Golfweek
- Friendliest small town in America,” 2011, USA Today
- “Best Main Street,” 2004, Sunset Magazine
Interested in visiting Walla Walla? Whitman College Office of Admission offers campus visits for prospective students and their families year-round. Plan your visit today.