Are you ready to be at a college that values you as an individual - where your professors know you as more than just a name on a class roster? Whitman may be just the right fit for you.

Because we appreciate the unique perspectives and contributions students like you bring to the college, Whitman admits a small number of students each spring and fall who are transferring from a four-year liberal arts college, university or two-year college. Transfer students are eligible for on-campus housing and financial aid.

We hope you will consider becoming part of our intellectual community and our transfer student cohort. If you have any questions about transferring to Whitman please contact the Admission's office.

Transfer Application Deadlines

Admission and Financial Aid Deadlines Fall Transfers Spring Transfers
Application Deadline March 1 November 1
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Deadline (U.S. citizens only) March 1 November 1
College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE Deadline (U.S. Citizens only)
Whitman International Student Financial Aid Application
(International Students Only)
March 1 November 1
Admission Notification Date April 20 December 1
Financial Aid Notification Date April 20 December 1
Candidate’s Reply Date (Admission and Financial Aid) May 20 December 13

Transfer Application Checklist

Are you ready to apply? Here's the information we need to receive to make a decision about your application:

  • The Common Application for Transfer Students, which is available online.
  • Your college report, also available through the Common Application. This document is typically completed and submitted by a registrar or student affairs official at your current college or university who can confirm that you are in good academic and disciplinary standing at your current institution.
  • An official transcript from all of the colleges and universities you have attended. Please contact each institution and ask them to send your transcript to the Whitman College Office of Admission, 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362-2046.
  • An official transcript from the high school you graduated from. Please contact your high school and ask them to send your transcript to the Whitman College Office of Admission, 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362-2046.
  • An instructor evaluation. This form, also known as a teacher or professor evaluation, is available through the Common Application. One letter of recommendation from a recent teacher or professor is required; you may send up to two additional letters if you'd like. If you graduated from high school in the last two years you can send letters from high school teachers, but we would prefer to have a letter from a college professor as well.

Optional information:

  • Your official SAT or ACT Score Report. Whitman is test-optional, meaning that most applicants are not required to submit ACT or SAT scores as part of the admission process. However, you are welcome to submit ACT or SAT results as an additional measure of your academic preparedness. Please see the full testing policy for more information.
  • An interview with an admission officer. One of the best ways for us to get to know you is for you to take the time to interview with a member of our admission team. Request an interview here.

Scholarships and Financial Aid for Transfer Students

As a transfer student, you can apply for Whitman need-based scholarships, Whitman Achievement Scholarships, and U.S. government grants and loans. If you are a Washington State resident, you may also be eligible for state-funded programs. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information about the scholarships and other forms of financial aid given to Whitman students.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

The maximum number of advanced standing credits that can be transferred from other accredited collegiate institutions is 70. This includes credits allowed on the basis of scores made on the Advanced Placement Test of the College Board, higher-level courses for the International Baccalaureate, Running Start courses, or certain military service.

Credit earned exclusively from two-year colleges is limited to 62 semester credits applicable toward a bachelor's degree.

Consult our transfer credit policy page for more information.