Making a Difference—Community Engagement at Whitman
We strive to build strong, sustainable relationships with community partners to create opportunities for students to come alongside members of the Walla Walla community through volunteer and fellowship experiences to support projects and initiatives identified by our partners as positively contributing to the community and their organizations’ purposes.
If you're considering volunteering, remember these 5 “Best Practices for Volunteering”
- Keep Your Commitment. Carefully consider any volunteer opportunity and ensure that you are able to fully commit to the entirety of the project. Everyone has a lot to juggle so honor your personal capacity. Organizations will appreciate even a few hours of volunteering toward a larger project.
- Be a Good Representative. Remember that you are not only representing yourself, but also Whitman College. Ensure that you are doing so in a positive light.
- Learn the Why. Take the time to learn about the organization you will be volunteering with and ensure that you understand why the project is important. What is the impact of the project?
- Remember the Circumstances. Take time to understand circumstances of various times of the year/season/volunteering cycle and how they impact the organization’s ability to support the community.
- Make the Connection. You have the power to make a difference. Utilize your special skills, knowledge, and talents for good through volunteering. Take time to reflect on this experience and how it fits into your story, your experience as a Whittie, and your future endeavors. Don’t forget the folks in the CCEC are here to help you with your next steps. Reach out today!
Don’t forget to share your experiences, photos and thoughts with the CCEC, we love seeing Whitties making an impact!
We Have Many Community Engagement Programs!
If you want to get involved with the greater Walla Walla and Whitman College communities, we have myriad programs open to volunteers. Our Community Engagement Programming allows Whitties to connect to the Walla Walla Community on a regular basis.
In the News
Community Volunteer Fair: Helping Others and Helping YouRead more...
Whitman Students Build Skills and Connections as Community FellowsRead more...
Whitman Pairs Community Engagement With Education Through VolunteeringRead more...
Our Whitman, My Story: Cassidy WashburnRead more...
Community Fellows Build Skills & ConnectionsRead more...