Thesis Research and Presentation Travel Funding
Due to ongoing concerns for the health and safety of the entire Whitman community, college-sponsored travel for students has been eliminated while the college is in remote learning mode.
Please submit your application to the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, c/o Ruth Ladderud (firstname.lastname@example.org) as an e-mail attachment. Applications are reviewed and considered when received.
NOTE: Although the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty makes funds available for conference and thesis travel, excused absences cannot be granted for class missed due to thesis or conference participation unless the event is organized by a department. Otherwise, it is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with their professor(s). We typically will not support travel if the student will miss more than three consecutive days of class.
Conference Presentation Travel
- The student must be enrolled at Whitman College at the time of registration.
- A confirmation that your research has been accepted for presentation and a faculty sponsor email or letter are required to be submitted with the application before the budget can be approved.
- Maximum available funding for combined student thesis and student conference travel is $1,400 per student per academic year.
- Faculty travel expenses for the conference are not covered by Student Research Funding.
- If a department is sending students to the conference as a group, the department will be responsible for organizing the event, providing the list of student presenters and submitting a detailed group budget to the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, c/o Ruth Ladderud (email@example.com), as well as requesting excused absences for the students.
- Poster printing costs are not reimbursable from Student Research Funding. Students are advised to work with their faculty sponsor for options to cover any poster printing expense.
- The travel must be related to the student’s thesis work.
- A letter of support from your advisor is required.
- Maximum available funding for student thesis travel is $500.
Eligible student research costs:
- Registration Fees, Membership Dues & Early Registration - Reimbursement will generally be for the least combined cost of the membership and early registration. If the combined cost for membership plus registration is less than the basic registration fee, it is expected that the student will apply for membership. Plan ahead to take advantage of all discounts.
- Meals - Maximum reimbursement for meals is $50/day. ITEMIZED receipts are required (except meals included in registration). Alcohol is not reimbursable and beverages/snacks are not reimbursable unless in lieu of a meal. Meals included with conference registration will not also be reimbursed as an off-site meal. We ask that you use this benefit responsibly to allow the limited available student research funds to benefit the maximum number of students.
Original receipts must be provided for ALL reimbursement requests.
In order to accurately determine availability of funding, please submit receipts within 30 days of the completion of your travel.