Visiting Educator Instructions
Requests should be sent to Qi Jia (email@example.com) in the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty no later than two months prior to the anticipated visit date (five months prior to visit date for visitors with visa requirements). You may submit the completed form by sending it as an emailed attachment to Qi Jia, or you may complete the form, print it and send via campus mail.
The policies in allocating funds for the Visiting Educator program are as follows:
- Departments that have their own endowments for speakers or for unrestricted uses are expected to use these sources of funding. Departments that do not have their own endowments may apply to the Provost Office on a rolling basis.
- Due to limited funds we are generally not able to support more than one Visiting Educator per department. Please consult with your department/program colleagues if you wish to bring a visiting educator during the academic year.
- Please provide the e-mail and mailing address of your visitor on the application form. The Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty will e-mail the necessary contract and tax forms for processing honoraria.
- Include a schedule of planned meetings and presentations, keeping in mind that the guest is to give a public presentation during their visit.
- Visiting Educators receive reimbursement for travel and local expenses, plus a maximum honorarium of $500.
You will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your request. It may be wise to then print a copy for your own records.
For assistance with cost estimates, see Budgeting Guidelines.
If you are considering a request for an international scholar, you should contact the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty at least five month prior the visit date to discuss visa requirements. The IRS requires the College to collect different tax forms and to withhold a higher tax rate from non U.S. citizen/permanent resident. To minimize potential miscommunication with your speaker concerning the immigration and tax regulations, please contact our office before finalizing the visit. Without the appropriate documentation, honoraria cannot be paid.