Visiting Educator Instructions
You may download the Visiting Educator Request form as a word document or in pdf format:
Please e-mail the completed form as an attachment to Qi Jia (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty. Or you may complete the form, print it and send via campus mail.
You will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your request. It may be wise to then print a copy for your own records.
For assistance with cost estimates, see Budgeting Guidelines.
The policies in allocating funds for the Visiting Educator program are as follows:
- Due to limited funds we are generally not able to support more than one Visiting Educator per department.
- Please provide the e-mail and mailing address of your visitor on the application form. The Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty will e-mail the necessary contract and tax forms for processing honoraria.
- Include a schedule of planned meetings and presentations, keeping in mind that the guest is to give a public presentation during his or her visit.
- Visiting Educators receive reimbursement for travel and local expenses, plus a maximum honorarium of $500.
- If you are considering a request for an international scholar, you should contact the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty as soon as possible to discuss visa requirements. For tax purposes, we will need to know if the speaker is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and, if not, what type of non-resident alien immigration status they are under. Please note that even speakers living and working in the United States may be in the country under non-resident alien immigration status, so it is important to gather this information. Under certain visas, the IRS requires Whitman College to withhold 30% of the amount of funds to be received by the speaker. To minimize potential miscommunication with your speaker concerning these regulations, please see http://www.whitman.edu/offices-and-services/human-resources/immigration-information. Without the appropriate documentation, honoraria cannot be paid to anyone.