Professional Development Funding
The current fiscal reality caused by COVID-19 is causing significant changes for the 2020-21 fiscal year (July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021).
Professional Development Allowance (PDA):
Tenured and tenure-track faculty not supported by start-up funds or income from an endowed chair, as well as faculty with Senior status will be provided with $750 this fiscal year to support their research and professional development.
Allowable PDA Expenses
- Journal subscriptions and memberships in professional societies.
- Registration for professional conferences that are virtual or online.
- Materials related to research such as software, supplies, books, expendable supplies and minor equipment.
- Editing, indexing, preparation of figures, and other costs associated with the preparation and publication of scholarly materials. Please contact the Associate Dean for Faculty Development, Helen Kim before using your PDA for this purpose.
- Limited wages for student assistance in support of a research project. Contact Qi Jia before using your PDA for this purpose.
- Expenses related to travel of any kind.
- Expenses related to purchase of food and drink of any kind.
- Individual commercial memberships such as Amazon Prime or personal cell phone or local internet services.
- Items or activities otherwise supported by departmental or program budgets such as computer equipment, office furniture purchases, or teaching materials directly associated with a scheduled class or a class that is being developed.
- Pre-payment of professional development expenses that will later be reimbursed by an outside agency or organization.
Note that any equipment or other durable resources (e.g., laptops, iPad, lab/studio tools, books) purchased with College funds, including PDA funds, will become property of the College. Please consult with WCTS on electronic devices and software before the purchase is made.
Aid to Faculty Scholarship and Instructional Development (ASID)
At present, there is no additional funding available to support ASID requests and applications are not being accepted.
Please contact Helen Kim, firstname.lastname@example.org in the Provost and Dean of the Faculty office with questions.