Maintaining Exchange Visitor Status
J-1 Exchange Visitors must understand the terms of their lawful immigration status and maintaining compliance with those terms. A violation of U.S. federal regulations could jeopardize your immigration status and your continued stay in the U.S. Read the following information carefully and contact the International Student and Scholar adviser if you have questions.
The following documentation must be current and valid:
• Form I-94
Class of Admission: J-1
Admit Until Date: D/S
- Report to Intercultural Center Associate Director Greg Lecki within 30 days of your Program Start Date ( see "3. Form Covers Period" on the DS-2019).
- Travel & Duration of Status: J-1 Exchange Visitors may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the Program Start Date listed on the DS-2019, and must depart the U.S. or otherwise change their status no later than 30 days after the Program End Date.
- Obtain a travel signature from the RO before departing the U.S. if you plan to return.
- Engage in appropriate activities, limited to those on your DS-2019.
- Each Exchange Visitor category has an expectation for appropriate activities for the Exchange Visitor, which must be fulfilled. Examples: A Research Scholar is here to research, a Professor to teach, and a Student to maintain a full-time course of study.
Engage only in authorized employment.
Exchange Visitors are required to carry health insurance that meets the minimum requirements as set forth at 22 CFR 62.14 for the entirety of their program. See your Responsible Officer (RO – currently Greg Lecki) for details.
Report a change of address, telephone number, email address or site of activity to the RO within 10 calendar days.