Students must maintain their U.S. Insurance
- Whitman College requires that all Off-Campus Studies participants maintain their U.S. health insurance coverage, in case treatment is necessary upon return to the United States. Before leaving for study abroad, students should familiarize themselves with the procedures of their insurance company, to ensure speedy reimbursement in case of illness. If possible, request necessary forms to take abroad. Students should be sure to keep the complete policy number—as well as the name, address, telephone, fax, and e- mail—of their insurance company with their important personal papers when abroad.
- Foreign physicians and hospitals outside the U.S. nearly always require payment at the time of treatment, and typically will not be able to bill your insurance company. All students should set aside adequate funds for medical treatments and emergencies to take with them overseas, and expect to submit receipts to their insurance for reimbursement of medical expenses upon return to the U.S.
iNext International Medical Insurance
- For programs that do not offer international medical insurance and evacuation coverage, Whitman College will purchase iNext Supplemental Platinum Travel Insurance offering worldwide travel assistance and international medical insurance and charge the expense to the student account. For detailed information about iNext coverage, please visit http://www.inext.com/plans/supplemental/platinum.aspx
- iNext has 24/7 Global Assistance. Contact them at +1-240-330-1548 (collect/outside U.S.) or 1-866-506-5304 (toll free inside the U.S.) Students will need to identify themselves at the outset of the call as an iNext insured. The Generali team is available 24/7 and may be able to arrange direct payment with the hospital or coordinate payment guarantees to facilitate cashless access for serious and expensive medical cases. Students must understand that direct payment is not always guaranteed as each claim is handled on a case-by-case basis.
- OCS tuition will include MySSP (Student Support Program), which offers mental health counseling support 24/7 via phone and chat specifically for students abroad. It is free to all OCS Whitman students at https://www.inext.com/why/mental-health/.
Download the free MySSP app on your smartphone. When you log in just indicate that you are a Whitman College student. To speak or chat with a counselor, when you are in the app, you just touch the phone icon or text chat icon on the upper right corner of the app to call the SSP staff. They are available for students abroad who experience distress or any level of mental health challenge. For example, MySSP supports students experiencing things like stress, homesickness, loneliness, depression, anxiety, and relationship concerns
Students who do not have a smartphone with them abroad can access MySSP from overseas by calling them toll free/collect at 888-257-8533.