Which immunizations are needed? 

  • Students should review the Centers for Disease Control immunization recommendations for all destination countries at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/ and read the health recommendations in their program’s predeparture materials.

Where can students get their immunizations? 

  • Whitman College Welty Health Center  offers free travel immunization advice to students, as well as many of the standard international immunizations at a relatively low cost.  Drop by Welty Health Center for more information, or call to schedule a consultation.

When should students begin getting their immunizations? 

  • Some vaccines must be administered six months prior to travel so students should look into what immunizations they may need as soon as they know which countries they will be studying in.

What about boosters for childhood immunizations? 

  • Students should check with their doctor about whether or not they are up-to-date with childhood immunizations like smallpox, tetanus, typhoid, diphtheria, MMR, and polio.  Some of these vaccines require periodic boosters.  This is especially important for students going to the developing world where outbreaks of some diseases, like polio, still occur. 

How do students document their immunizations? 

  • Students who receive immunizations before going abroad should request an "International Certificate of Vaccination" from their doctor as a record of what immunizations they have received.  This document should be kept alongside passport and visa documentation.