Jump the navigation

Assistance from US Authorities

Assistance from U.S. Authorities

  • U.S. consular officers are available at U.S. Embassies and Consulates in most countries overseas. They are there to advise and assist U.S. nationals, especially if they are in serious legal, medical or financial trouble. (They do not perform the work of travel agencies, information bureaus, or the local police.)

  • All study abroad students who are US citizens are encouraged to sign up for the Department of State’s STEP (Smart Traveller Enrollment Program) prior to departure.  This will result in the student receiving advice from local US officials in the event of an emergency in the host country.

  • If a Whitman student runs into trouble with the local authorities, they should remember that they are subject to local laws. Local laws, U.S. laws, and international agreements can tie the hands of the American representatives. The U.S. government does not have funds for legal fees or other related expenses for U.S. citizens who get into trouble overseas.
Office Information
  • Memorial Building 205
    345 Boyer Ave.
    Walla Walla, WA 99362
  • Email or Call to Schedule a Virtual Advising Appt.
  • 509-527-4992
beaker duck hiker icon-a-to-z icon-arrow-circle-down icon-arrow-circle-up icon-arrow-down icon-arrow-left icon-arrow-right icon-arrow-up icon-calendar-no-circle icon-calendar icon-camera icon-clock icon-cv icon-dot icon-down-triangle icon-email-circle icon-email icon-external-link icon-facebook icon-flickr icon-generic-blog icon-google-plus icon-home icon-instagram icon-library icon-link-circle icon-link-inverted icon-linkedin icon-lock icon-magazine icon-map-pin icon-map2 icon-menu-hamburger icon-menu-mobile-a icon-menu-mobile-b icon-menu-x icon-mywhitman-cog icon-news icon-phone icon-pinterest icon-play icon-quote icon-search-a icon-search-b icon-search-mobile-a icon-search-mobile-b icon-share icon-snail-mail icon-tumblr icon-twitter icon-vimeo icon-youtube logo-whitman-nc-flat logo-whitman-nc-stacked logo-whitman-no-clocktower slider-category-arrow-2px slider-category-arrow-no-line slider-category-arrow-solid slider-category-arrow slider-category-line-2px slider-category-line-solid slider-category-line tc_icon-filmstrip-fl tc_icon-filmstrip-ln tc_icon-play-fl-closed tc_icon-play-fl-open tc_icon-play-ln-closed tc_icon-play-ln-open wifi