National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG)
Application period: September 2020 to December 2020 [TBA]
• U.S. citizen
• Bachelor's degree prior to fellowship start date
• Pursuit of graduate study at a U.S. institution
Award summary and conditions: NDSEG Fellowships are designed to encourage baccalaureate recipients to enter graduate school and ultimately gain doctorates in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. Since its inception in 1989, NDSEG has awarded nearly 3,500 fellowships from over 58,000 applications to U.S. citizens and nationals who pursue a doctoral degree in one of fifteen supported disciplines at a U.S. institution of their choosing.
STI-TEC and the DoD use academic status guidelines to ensure that students at or near the beginning of their graduate studies receive fellowships. Eligible applicants are enrolled in their final year of undergraduate studies through the second year of a traditional PhD program. Applicants who are pursuing a Medical Degree are not eligible for the NDSEG fellowship.
• Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
• Biosciences (includes toxicology)
• Chemical Engineering
• Civil Engineering
• Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences (Note: PsyD programs are not eligible)
• Computer and Computational Sciences
• Electrical Engineering
• Geosciences (includes terrain, water, and air)
• Materials Science and Engineering
• Mechanical Engineering
• Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering (includes undersea systems)
• Oceanography (includes ocean acoustics, remote sensing, and marine meteorology)
• Physics (including optics)
Areas of interest that fall outside of the list may be considered if it is a STEM field and is related to one or more of these fields. If you need help selecting one of our supported disciplines, we recommend utilizing your academic or research advisor for guidance.
NDSEG Fellowships last for a period of up to four years (based on continued funding) and covers full tuition and mandatory fees. Fellows also receive a monthly stipend ($3,200), and up to $1,500 a year in medical insurance. The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), the Army Research Office (ARO), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR) under the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (OSD) for Research and Engineering.
Application process: online
• Online application
• Proposal (3-page max)
• References (3)
• Official transcripts
• GRE scores
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Contact information: https://ndseg.sysplus.com/NDSEG/ContactUs/