Korean Teaching Programs (TaLK and EPIK)
Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK)
Fall 2020 application period has been paused due to COVID-19 concerns; see notice from the TaLK office for more information:
Fall application period: September 2020 to November 2020 [TBA] (Spring 2021 term)
Spring application period: March 2021 to June 2021 [TBA] (Fall 2021 term)
- Citizen of one of the following countries where English is the national language: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or the U.S.
- Overseas Koreans with permanent residency in the above countries
- Korean Nationals with temporary residency (with the intention of obtaining permanent residency) who have lived in an English speaking country for at least 8 years
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's program and completed at least 2 years of undergraduate study; OR have obtained an Associate's degree
- Recent college graduates and graduates
- Overseas Koreans in their 1st or 2nd year of undergraduate study if they qualify for the F4 visa or hold Korean citizenship.
- English proficiency
- Good health
Award summary: TaLK is a Korean Government scholarship program known as Teach and Learn in Korea. The program's main objective is to invite and train native English speakers and overseas Koreans to teach practical English in after-school classes at rural elementary schools. TaLK covers the cost of: round-trip, economy class air ticket, accommodation, traveler's health insurance, monthly stipend of KRW 1.5 million, a one-time settlement allowance and cultural trips arranged by the provincial offices of education.
Application process: online and hardcopy. For application details, visit the website.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
National committee interview: Yes
Announcement date: Applicants will be notified of the results via e-mail approximately three weeks after all requirements have been completed.
English Program in Korea (EPIK)
Fall application period: August 1, 2020, 9:00 a.m. KST (July 31, 2020, 5:00 p.m. PT) to January 2021 [TBA] (Spring 2021 term); the application may close ahead of the deadline
Spring application period: February 2021 to May 2021 [TBA] (2:00 a.m. PT, for Fall 2021 term)
- Citizen of a country where English is the primary language
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university
- Good health
- Fluent in English
Award summary and conditions: EPIK, affiliated with the Korean Ministry of Education was established in 1995 with the mission to improve the English speaking abilities of students and teachers in Korea, to develop cultural exchanges, and to reform English teaching methodologies in Korea. For more information and job availability go to: http://www.gone2korea.com/epik-english-program-in-korea/.
Benefits of the program include free, furnished housing, modest salary, medical insurance and possibility of returning for a second year of teaching.
Application process: online and hardcopy (initially, all applications will be sent electronically. If nominated after initial screening and interview, hard copies of all documentation will be requested)
Application requirements: Requirements vary per position - please visit the website for a full list
- Application form(s)
- Letters of recommendation (2)