Application period: May 2021 to October 2021 [TBA]
Internal deadline: September 2021 [TBA]
National deadline: October 2021 (1:00 p.m. PT) [TBA]
NOTE: Institutional endorsement process
- US and international students accepted
- Final year for first/bachelor's degree or within 4 years of earning first/bachelor's degree.
- Must enroll/apply in a full-time graduate degree program at Stanford.
- No minimum GPA or test scores. Exceptional academic achievement is preferred.
- English language proficiency.
- Must complete both Knight-Hennessy Scholars application and entire application process for graduate degree program.
Award summary and conditions: The Knight- Hennessy Scholars program is a new graduate- level scholarship aimed at preparing the next generation of global leaders to address the increasingly complex challenges facing our world. Each recipient will receive full funding to pursue a graduate education at one of Stanford's 125+ graduate programs. The Knight -Hennessy Scholars program has a distinctly multidisciplinary focus, and will provide opportunities for leadership training, mentorship and cohort-based experiential learning. The goal is to empower Knight-Hennessy Scholars to navigate across business, government, academia, and the nonprofit sectors.
We expect about two-thirds of Knight- Hennessy Scholars to come from outside the United States, including rising leaders from the developing world who would not otherwise have a path to this kind of education. The funding comprises tuition and associated fees; on-campus room and board; books, supplies, instructional materials; health insurance and associated fees; round-trip air travel to Stanford; local transportation; and reasonable personal expenses.
Primary admission criteria:
- Independence of thought
- Purposeful leadership
- Civic commitment
Application materials (Online submission of all materials):
- Online application
- Uploaded unofficial transcript for each institution you attended for an academic year or longer
- Scores for standardized tests for admission, as required by the graduate degree program you are pursuing
- Letters of recommendation (2)
- Institutional endorsement letter (optional)
- Personal essays (2). (750-1,750 words is sufficient for both essays, in total)
- Short-answer responses (2).
- Resume/CV (1 page).
- Video story (2 minutes max.)
In-person assessment: Finalist will be invited to visit Stanford (paid for by the program) for Immersion Weekend, that will give candidate a chance to learn more about their graduate degree program, about the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program, about Stanford University, about other fellow Scholars, and about themselves.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
• January: Approximate date finalists notified
• Mid-February: Approximate date selected candidates notified