Fulbright UK Summer Institutes
Application period: November 2020 to February 2021 (8:59 p.m. PT) [TBA]
- U.S. citizen with U.S. passport
- First-year or sophomore (age 18 or older)
- Minimum GPA of 3.7
- Little or no travel experience outside the U.S. or North America
- Evidence of maturity, responsibility, independence and open-mindedness
Award summary and conditions: The U.S.-U.K. Fulbright Commission offers four summer programs for students with U.S. citizenship. Each program, based at a particular U.K. university or cultural institution, varies in duration (three to six weeks) and offers a unique immersion in British education and culture. Students participate in cultural events and research. Collaborations and presentations are built into the curricula. Students from all areas of study are encouraged to apply.
- Queen's University Belfast Summer Institute
- Scotland Summer Institute (Glasgow School of Art and University of Strathclyde)
- University of Bristol Summer Institute
- Aberystwyth University Summer Institute
Most costs are covered by the Summer Institutes program. They include round-trip airfare, tuition and fees at the host university, accommodation and meals.
Application process: online
- Summer Institute application form
- Self-assessment: Assessing Yourself by Threes
- Personal statement (500-word maximum)
- Essay question (800-word maximum)
- Equal opportunity form
- Letters of reference (2) submitted online. Applicants press the "Add New Item" button and complete the form for their references. Applicants should let their referees know to expect and look for this email.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
National interview: Yes, by phone in mid- to late April. Interviews last 10 to 20 minutes.
Announcement date: Typically, applicants are notified within 10 working days of the phone interview.