Critical Language Enhancement Award
Application period: March 31, 2020 to October 13, 2020 (2:00 p.m. PT)
Initial internal deadline: September 7, 2020 (8:00 a.m. PT)
Internal interviews: September 21-25, 2020 [tentative] (study/research projects) and September 21-25, 2020 [tentative] (ETAs)
Final internal deadline: October 9, 2020
National deadline: October 13, 2020 (2:00 p.m. PT)
- Fulbright Full Grant (or ETA, in some cases) in the eligible country selected
- Meet the minimum CLEA language requirement by the start of the Fulbright grant in the proposed country
- Interest in continuing language training in future professional activities
Note: Ineligible if applicant has received a Critical Language Scholarship sponsored by the U.S. Department of State in the same program year
Award summary and conditions: The Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) is a feature of the U.S. Student Fulbright Program, which provides an opportunity for some Fulbright U.S. Student grantees to receive three to six months of intensive language study as an enhancement to their Fulbright grants. It is offered to students once they have been awarded a Fulbright U.S. Student grant which requires that they use one of the eligible languages for their Fulbright project and beyond. The purpose of the Critical Language Enhancement Award is to cultivate higher levels of language proficiency prior to and during the Fulbright grant period and beyond. Ultimately, Critical Language Enhancement grantees will achieve a high level of proficiency in a targeted language and will go on to careers or further study which will incorporate the use of the language studied and/or related languages.
- Arabic (all dialects)
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Chinese (Mandarin only)
Application process: online
Application requirements: Application for a Critical Language Enhancement Award is made in conjunction with the Fulbright U.S. Student application and reference to the language award application should be included in the Statement of Grant Purpose. The application is within the Fulbright U.S. Student application. The following forms must be completed in the Fulbright U.S. Student application to apply also for the Critical Language Enhancement Award:
- Language Self Evaluation. If the applicant will be completing the pre-requisite language study after submission of the Fulbright application the proposed study must be detailed in Form 7.
- Critical Language Enhancement Award Supplementary Statement.
- Foreign Language Report. The foreign language evaluator should comment on the desirability and need for additional language training in their report.
- (Optional) Applicants may wish to address how their Fulbright project would be enhanced by additional language study under the CLEA in the Statement of Grant Purpose.
Applications should include:
- Connection to Research: In the Statement of Grant Purpose applicants must show a clear connection between additional language study and their Fulbright project. Any applicant whose project can be completed, without loss in quality, without language training, will not be considered a high priority.
- Commitment to the Language: Applicants should demonstrate and detail their commitment to developing their language skills through current study, during their Fulbright grant tenure, and in their future career and/or educational plans in their supplemental Critical Language Enhancement Award statement.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Internal committee: Yes
Internal interview: Yes
Internal nomination required: No
National committee interview: No
Announcement date: March - June