Info for Returning Students - Registration
Spring 2023 Start of the Semester Information
- All students must complete Student Check-In.
- Student check-in begins on Tuesday, January 10, 2023.
- Advisor Clearance is not required to complete Student Check-in.
- Student Check-in must be done by Friday, January 27, 2023.
- If not completed, students may be locked out of their accounts (e.g., Canvas, email, my.whitman.edu)
To complete Student Check-in and Clear Holds:
- Go to https://my-new.whitman.edu
- Click on the button for "Planning and Registration"
- Check on all your Holds and click on the Check-In hold to clear.
*Remember: Student Check-in must be completed by Friday, January 27, 2023.
To clear any additional holds:
- Access myWhitman https://my-new.whitman.edu
- Select “Planning and Registration” page. Look for Check In and Holds. Once a hold is cleared it will disappear.
- Provide Campus Alert Information. Please provide a number where you wish to receive campus alert information.
- Financial Responsibility. You will be asked to agree to the Financial Responsibility statement.
- Contact the appropriate office to obtain clearance if needed. Contact information is as follows:
Do you wish to add or drop a course?
- Obtain advisor clearance. Advisor clearance is required to add or drop a course.
- Contact your advisor and discuss course adding/dropping. Remind advisor to clear you.
- Access myWhitman (https://my-new.whitman.edu) click on “Course Planning and Registration”
- Add/drop appointment timesfor Monday January 16, 2023 are listed below. Students will be allowed access to add/drop at the appointment time for their class and will continue to have access during the entire add/drop period.
Class of 2023 start at 8 a.m. (Pacific/Walla Walla Time)
Class of 2024 start at 10 a.m.
Class of 2025 start at Noon
Class of 2026 start at 2 p.m.
*Add/Drop ends on Friday January 27.
- To add a class:
- Add the course to your Plan with the Search for Courses feature. You can narrow it to Spring 2023 and hit search and then select Open sections only. When you have selected the course, add the course to your plan (again, make sure to use Spring 2023 term)
- On the "Plan and Schedule" page, find the course you just added to your plan in the left column, select one of the sections for that course and add it to your schedule. It should then appear on your schedule to the right
- Click on “Register Now” or the blue button “Register” by that course and you will be registered for that course.
- To drop a class:
- In Course Planning click the “Drop” button to remove a course from your schedule
- If a course has a co-requisite such as a Lab. You will need to “Drop” that course at the same time.
- Verify your schedule in the “Current Schedule” section to ensure your schedule is correct.
Interested in academic overload?
- Academic overload is exceeding 18 academic credits. (Activity credits do not count toward academic overload).
- Academic Overload Approval. You will need to obtain approval for academic overload. See below requirements for completing the approval process.
Requirements to enroll in an academic overload are as follows:
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher previous semester’s GPA in courses completed at Whitman.
- Students must obtain signatures from their advisor and the previous semester’s instructors at Whitman using the Academic Overload Form, available in the Registrar’s Office or online at: https://www.whitman.edu/offices-and-services/registrar/services-for-students-and-alumni/forms
- Complete the form from the most recently completed semester at Whitman and bring to the Registrar’s Office at 212 Memorial Building. 8:30-4:30 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If a professor is on sabbatical note that on your form and a signature is not needed.
- Once we receive your academic overload form, we will process your request. We will email you confirmation when your academic overload form has been processed and approved.
- Students must submit the Academic Overload form to the Registrar’s Office for final approval.
- Requests for more than 18 academic credits that do not meet the above criteria, or those requesting more than 22 academic credits, will be reviewed by the Board of Review. Approval will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances in which there is crucial need to take an academic overload (such as the need to graduate).
- You may contact the Registrar’s Office through a Live Chat option. This will be available from
Monday January 16-Friday January 20 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Live Chat will be located at the bottom right of the registration screen in the portal.
Student Check-in begins Tuesday, January 10, 2023.
Add/Drop begins Monday January 16, 2023, at your assigned time.
Classes begin Tuesday January 17, 2023.