Info for Returning Students - Registration
Spring 2018 Returning Student Registration Information for Faculty
Advising Returning Students
· Student Check-in for returning students begins on Tuesday, January 09. Student Check-in is required of all students in order to confirm their attendance at Whitman College.
· Faculty members are encouraged to be available in their offices during regular business hours on Monday and Tuesday (January 15 and 16) to respond to questions from faculty advisers and students, and to provide possible course consents to students wishing to register for closed courses.
· There is an option in “Search for Classes” on the faculty portal that allows either a search of all courses or just those courses with an open status. This will be helpful in determining courses that do not require instructor consent for enrollment.
· Students who wish to make changes to their schedule must obtain electronic adviser approval. Advisers can access the clearance utility through the faculty portal at my.whitman.edu (see the portal instruction sheet).
· Add/drop begins on Monday, January 15, at the below times for each class level and, once opened, continues through the add/drop registration period.
Class of 2018 – 8 am Class of 2019 – 10 am Class of 2020 – 12 Noon Class of 2021 – 3 pm
Instructor Course Consent
- Students trying to add a consent or closed course on the Web will need electronic instructor consent. You may access this clearance utility at my.whitman.edu (see the portal instruction sheet).
- After an instructor grants course consent, students will receive an automated email with directions on how to accept the consent (please remind students they will need to complete this step in order to be registered for the course). After the student accepts the consent, an automated request will then be sent to the Registrar’s Office and the course will be added. Instructor consent does NOT automatically register the student in the course.
Academic Overload Approval (Request for more than 18 credits)
· Students must have a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA.
· Students must have a 3.50 or higher previous semester’s GPA in courses completed at Whitman.
· Students must obtain signatures of support from all instructors of the courses they completed the previous semester at Whitman on an “Academic Overload” form.
· Students must submit the “Academic Overload” form signed by their adviser and previous semester’s instructors to the Registrar’s Office for final approval.
· Requests for more than 18 academic credits that do not meet the above criteria, or those requesting more than 22 academic credits, will be reviewed by the Board of Review. Approval will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances in which there is crucial need to take an academic overload (such as the need to graduate).
NOTE: Applied Music is academic credit - not activity credit