Curricular Planning and Scheduling Tool Instructions
Access the Curricular Planning and Scheduling Tool via my.whitman.edu. Click on "CPST" on the blue header bar. The following instructions will lead you through creating a proposed department schedule.
The subject will default in for the department to which you are assigned. You will be able to make changes in this department only but will have "read only" access to all other departments to view their schedules.
- Click on the semester you wish to view
The pull down box can be used at any time to insert another department's schedule on top of your departmental schedule on the heat map. This can be used to check for pre/co-requisites and conflicting major requirements. The section information will only show on the map when you hover over a specific day/time or the section information for a particular section on the right side of the page. A black outline will appear around any boxes that contain scheduling information from the comparison department.
Propose a Section
Click on either "Add a Section" or "Copy Sections from a Past Term."
If you choose to copy from past terms
- You will have a pull-down menu to specify the term from which you wish to copy information. You can copy a single section or multiple sections from the list by checking the box next to the desired section(s). Be sure to click on the "Copy Them" box at the bottom of the text box and sections will appear on the map on the left.
If you choose to add a section
- Click on the section you wish to add from the list of sections. If the section you wish to add is not listed, please contact the Registrar's Office (x5980) to have it added.
- Indicate whether the section is appropriate for first-year students.
- Indicate whether you will be using an electronic waitlist. If you are not planning to utilize this option, a message that no waitlist is being used for this section will be displayed to students when they attempt to add themselves to your waitlist.
- Select a day/time from the pull down menu in Section Schedule. The times are broken into Standard, Lab, and Art scheduling days/times. Once you click on a time the section will show in the heat map on the left. You can then drag that section around manually if you wish to change the day/time, however, if you drop it into a non-standard time slot you will be warned that this requires Curriculum Committee approval and you must submit the request to your Division Chair. You can save the non-standard time but there is no guarantee that this will be approved by the Curriculum Committee.
- Verify the capacity that has defaulted in from Datatel. You can manually raise the capacity but reducing the capacity will require Curriculum Committee approval.
- You must indicate how many seats are being saved by class level (i.e., FY, SOPH, JR, SR). If you are not saving seats insert "0" in the required boxes. This information will be used by the Registrar's Office at registration and all reserved seat information from previous semesters will be deleted.
- To assign an instructor begin typing any part of the name in the "Assign Instructor" box. Options will be provided much the same as on People Search on the Whitman web page. If you are waiting for instructor assignment due to a new hire insert "Staff" which is located at the top of the list.
The heat map will display the load during any one scheduling period by color as indicated on the top of the map. Use this in conjunction with the "Legal Course Times" link to confirm your department's compliance with scheduling rules. There is also an option to view the map by capacity to compare the number of seats available in any time slot.