Whitman College recognizes that some members of its community use a name other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the College allows students, faculty and staff to use a first name different than their legal name on certain college records.

Students can submit a preferred name change request in MyWhitman under the My Profile, tab.

At present, students should contact the Registrar's Office at x5983 or regoffice@whitman.edu to initiate a preferred name change. By mid-January, there will also be a means to do this on MyWhitman.

Please note that changing your preferred name for certain records does not change your legal first name. Below is a listing of all of the areas in which your preferred name will appear once changed:

  • MyWhitman search
  • WhitMail †
  • People Search (publically accessible)
  • Class rosters (CLEo and MyWhitman)
  • CLEo
  • Faculty advisee lists
  • ID card (requires reprint by Security)

Students who have had their name legally changed should complete a name/address change form. Your new legal name will appear on ALL college documentation listed above.

Adapted with permission from Augsburg College -  Last revised on 1/8/2016

†If your old information persists after the change with some senders, they may have a copy in their personal contacts. As these are specific to the individual account, it is not something IT can edit. The sender will need to remove the old information from their personal contacts.