Purposes of Your Card
Upon arrival at Whitman College Students, Faculty, and Staff should received an ID Card. If this card is a standard Picture ID Card then it serves several functions. Those functions include:
- Picture identification. It will identify who you are while you are at Whitman.
- Identification number. This is located right under your name on the front of your card and along with your name identifies who you are. This is your Campus ID number which is the number used for your dealings with various offices and places at the college.
- Access to library materials. The bar code on the back of the card is what the library uses to identify you when using any library resources.
- Access to the card swipe system. The magnetic strip on the back of the card is what the card swipe equipment uses on the back of your card. The card reader will read this to give you access to doors, meals, and/or other things you have access to. See the Card Classification for your card for more information.
If this card is a Conference Card, Visitor, or Temporary Card then it will have the following
- The name will identify what kind of card it is.
- The number is the number that was assigned to it from the card swipe system.
- The magnetic strip on the back gives you access to doors, meals, and/or other things the card was setup for. See the Card Classification for your card or check with who issued the card for more information.
Obtaining a Card
If you have not obtained your card since starting at Whitman then see the Card Classification for your card as the methods vary depending on the type of card you will need.
The classifications of cards at Whitman are:
Library Use With Your Card
If there is a bar code on the back of the card then you will have access to library resources. The library uses the bar code on the back of the card to identify you in their system. You will need it to check out library materials or order books through Summit. Click here for more information.
Magnetic Stripe Usage
There are various things that the magnetic stripe on your card could allow you access to. This includes opening doors that are equipped with door swipes, as well as, charging privileges in places equipped with Mini, Midi and Maxi "Wedges". The system allows you access through what it calls "Privileges" and which ones you can have vary depending on what classification of card you have, as well as, any special "Privileges" you have been given. See the Card Classification for your card to see what is available to you.
Bon Appetit Use With Your Card
Your card may have been granted the use of Bon Appetit resources. Not all cards can use the Bon Appetit resources and some have restrictions on what they can use. See the Card Classification for your card to see what is available to you.
If Your Card Doesn't Work
If your card does not work, here are some tips to help find what is wrong:
- Is it not working on a door swipe?
- Is the door swipe accepting swipes? (See Door Swipe Swiping in Door Swipe Operations) If not then the building's office has decided that the card swipe shouldn't be working at this time for some or all of the cards. You will need to talk to them if you feel you have a valid reason for using the door swipe when you are trying to use it.
- If it should be accepting your swipe, can other people (that it should be accepting) successfully swipe into this door? If not then it may be a general door swipe problem. Contact Technology Services so that we can get it fixed.
- Do you have the privilege for this door? If not then you may need to contact the building's office to get their authorization.
- Does your card work in other door swipes or Mini, Midi, or Maxi wedges? If not then there is probably a problem with your card. Bring it to Technology Services to get it examined and recoded.
- Is it not working on a Mini, Midi, or Maxi wedge?
- Is the wedge accepting swipes? If not then the office using the wedge has decided that the wedge shouldn't be working at this time for some or all of the cards. You will need to talk to them if you feel you have a valid reason for using the wedge when you are trying to use it.
- If it should be accepting your swipe, can other people (that it should be accepting) successfully swipe through this wedge? If not then it may be a general problem with the wedge. Have the Manager or Cashier contact Technology Services so that we can get it fixed.
- Do you have a privilege for this wedge? If not then you may will need to contact the wedge's office to see if you can get their authorization to use it. Some wedges are not usable with some people's cards.
- Does your card work in other door swipes or Mini, Midi, or Maxi-wedges? If not then there is probably a problem with your card. Bring it to Technology Services to get it examined and recoded.
- If your card is damaged then you need to follow the instructions for getting it replaced in the Lost Cards section. There may or may not be a charge for this depending on the damage.
If Your Card Is Lost Or Stolen
ID Cards are an important asset here on campus. It is very important that you keep track of yours because it is like a building key and also possibly a debit card depending on your privileges (see the Card Classification for your card to see what it can do). If you happen to lose your card or it gets stolen it is very important that you do the following:
- Notify the Campus Security Office (campus extension 5777 or 527-5777 if off-campus) to make sure your card gets suspended so that no one else can use it. If you have a meal plan on your card see the Bon Appetit Lost Card Policy for information on getting a temporary card.
- If you are unable to find or recover your card then contact the Security office again to get a new card made. Their office is at Memorial Building 117, please call for an appointment. A replacement card costs $15.00.
- Once the new card is issued or if you find your old card (so that you don't need a new one) come into the Technology Services office to make sure your card gets reinstated properly.
When You Leave Whitman
When you leave Whitman or you no longer need your card it would be appreciated it you would return it to Technology Services. This will help us make sure no one else tries to use your identity and it will help us in keeping our system up to date.