The Whitman College Registrar's Office serves as the main contact for all veterans enrolling in the college. We provide the Veteran's Administration with certification of enrollment required for veterans and their dependents to obtain educational benefits. Educational support programs and resources available through the VA include:
Any student who is uncertain regarding his or her eligibility for benefits may contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 888-442-4551. Veterans and their families may also use the VA's online *Ask Us a GI Bill ® Question for answers to questions that others have asked about benefits or to ask your own questions. Information about education benefits with the VA is available by going online to www.gibill.va.gov and clicking on "Apply for Benefits." A student may also apply for benefits using an online application (VONAPP) at https://benefits.va.gov/benefits/vonapp.asp.
*GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S.Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. goverment website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs has also published a helpful Guide for Veterans Attending College as a resource on starting the education benefits process.
What we need to support you:
- A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility
- This document will be provided by the VA once you are approved for benefits and will be used to set up your file to report enrollment to the VA.
- Registration in classes
- Email notice to Stacey Giusti (firstname.lastname@example.org) any time you add or drop a class during the semester. A registration check will be made after the drop and withdrawal deadlines. A student's enrollment status is a factor in determining the total amount of funding paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs and we can avoid any overpayment by the VA if you notify us immediately of changes.
- The Department of Veterans of Affairs will pay only for those courses that advance a student's progression toward a degree and reduce the number of credits needed to graduate. Therefore any student who must repeat a course must notify the Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar.
- Copies of any correspondence relating to your benefits from the Veteran's Administration.
What we do to support you:
- Every semester we notify the VA that you are enrolled in classes. The VA uses this information to process your payment for that semester.
- Reporting is done electronically through VA-ONCE and any changes to your registration need to be promptly reported to avoid overpayment by the VA. We do not certify enrollment before the semester begins. This will not result in a hold on your registration if you have already indicated that you are eligible for VA benefits on the billing statement you submit to the Business Office.
- Once we certify your enrollment for the semester you may track your payment status by contacting the VA toll-free hotline at 888-442-4551. You may receive either automated information or speak to an educational specialist about your account.
Owen Unbehaun, '13, was awarded the Bronze Star Medal in 2015. Staff Sgt. Unbehaun earned this medal when he was deployed between junior and senior years at Whitman. Click here to read the full article.