Faculty Info for Returning Students - Registration
Fall 2018 Returning Student Registration Information for Faculty
Advising Returning Students
- Student Check-in for returning students begins on Tuesday, August 21. Student Check-in is required of all students in order to confirm their attendance at Whitman College. Student Check-in will close on September 7.
- Faculty members are encouraged to be available in their offices during regular business hours on Monday and Tuesday (August 27 - August 28) to respond to questions from faculty advisers and students, and to provide possible course consents to students wishing to register for closed courses.
- There is an option in "Search for Classes" on the faculty portal that allows either a search of all courses or just those courses with an open status. This will be helpful in determining courses that do not require instructor consent for enrollment.
- Students who wish to make changes to their schedule must obtain electronic adviser approval. Advisers can access the clearance utility through the faculty portal at my.whitman.edu (see the portal instruction sheet).
- Add/drop begins on Monday, August 27, at the below times for each class level and, once opened, continues through the add/drop registration period.
Class of 2019 start at 8 am
Class of 2020 start at 12:30 pm
Class of 2021 start at 4 pm
Add/Drop ends on Friday September 7, 2018.
Instructor Course Consent
- Students trying to add a consent required or closed course on the Web will need electronic instructor consent. You may access this clearance utility at my.whitman.edu (see the portal instruction sheet).
- After an instructor grants course consent, students must accept the consent via CLEo in order to complete the registration. Instructor consent does not automatically register the student in the course. Students will receive an automated email with directions on how to accept the consent, but please remind students of this (your reminder helps a lot). After the student accepts the consent, the Registrar's Office receives an automated request to add the course. The student is then registered in the course and notified.
Academic Overload Approval
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher previous semester's GPA in courses completed at Whitman.
- Students must obtain signatures from their adviser and their previous semester's instructors at Whitman using the "Academic Overload" form.
- Students must submit the "Academic Overload" form to the Registrar's Office for final approval.
- Requests for more than 18 academic credits that do not meet the above criteria, or those requesting more than 22 academic credits, will be reviewed by the Board of Review. Approval will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances in which there is crucial need to take an academic overload (such as the need to graduate).
Note: Applied Music is academic credit - not activity credit