Grants and Foundation Relations
The Office of Grants & Foundation Relations is responsible for obtaining support for Whitman College through the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of foundations, corporations, and government agencies. We work with the senior administration to identify College priorities in need of external support, such as academic programs, student life initiatives, facilities and equipment, or scholarships. In addition, we provide support to faculty members to fund individual research and curricular projects.
Our office is responsible for both pre- and post-award functions.
Pre-award (during the grant application process), we:
- Obtain institutional approvals and signatures
- Facilitate communication with appropriate administrative officials
- Provide editing and writing support
- Complete ancillary paperwork
- Develop budgets in line with internal and external requirements
- Ensure compliance with federal and grant guidelines
- Submit grants through online submission systems
Post-award (after the grant is awarded), we:
- Set up and manage grant accounts
- Track and report monthly spending
- Process reimbursements and reconcile charges to grants
- Ensure compliance with grant guidelines and federal regulations
- Draw down federal funds
- Assist in completing financial and narrative reports
Our office works with the Office of the Provost & Dean of the Faculty to support faculty research and scholarship, and with the Business Office to submit grants on behalf of Whitman College. Walter Froese, Controller, is the College’s Authorized Organizational Representative who submits all federal grants via online submission systems (e.g., Fastlane, Grants.gov).
|We always welcome you to make an appointment with us if you are thinking of applying for a grant or just want to discuss your ideas:|
Director of Grants & Foundation Relations
Sponsored Programs Coordinator
Key information to know when applying for a grant at Whitman College:
- The first step is to discuss your plans with our office, so we can ensure that your plans are in line with the priorities and interests of the funding agency and the College.
- The next step is to fill out the required Proposal Development Form one month before the proposal deadline. This internal form is required, in order to inform all relevant parties that you intend to apply for a grant, and to obtain approval for your proposal submission.
- The Provost’s office may be able to provide matching funds if required by a funding agency. You must fill out the Matching Funds Request Form one month before the proposal deadline to ask for these funds.
- Detailed information on applying for a grant, managing a grant award, and complying with federal and College regulations can be found in the Whitman College Grants Procedures Manual.
Applying for external grants can be intimidating, but it is also an excellent opportunity for faculty members to further your teaching and scholarship, plan out your future research agenda, and enhance your ability to work with students. Our job in the Office of Grants & Foundation Relations is to make the process as smooth and painless as possible. We look forward to working with you!
Whitman College Grant Forms:
Grants Policies and Procedures: