National deadline: 2015/2016 TBA in early January
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis so in order to be considered for a teaching position your application should be in before March 1.
- U.S. or Canadian citizen with valid passport
- Native or bilingual English or French speaker
- Hold a minimum of BA or BS by the end of the academic year preceding the start of the program; or be an upcoming junior or senior student at their university; or be a university graduate
- Good physical and mental health
- Basic communication skills in Spanish are required
- Clean background check
Award summary and conditions: Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants (NALCA) is an academic "continuing education" grant provided by the Ministry of Education of Spain. NALCA sends over 2000 American and Canadian participants to Spain each year to serve as teaching assistants, sharing their native knowledge of the English or French language and North American culture in Spanish public K-12 schools. Recipients receive a minimum monthly stipend of 700 net euros and are provided general health insurance by the assigned region covering basic needs, emergencies and repatriation.
Application process: online (PROFEX) and hardcopy
- Photocopy of valid passport
- PDF printout (signed and dated) available after you submit your application online
- Official college transcript or copy of college diploma
- One page letter of recommendation, in English or Spanish, from any current or former professor or, if you have been out of school for over five years, from your supervisor at work. This is the only document that can be mailed separately from the rest of the hard copies, should your professor wish to send it to us personally. It must be signed and sent by mail.
- One page statement of purpose for participation in the program in either English or Spanish, addressed to the person responsible for the office you will be sending your required documents to
- Medical certificate of good mental and physical health issued by doctor. This should be on the doctor's letterhead on standard sized paper. Notes sent on prescription pad paper will not be accepted. Please send A COPY. KEEP THE ORIGINAL FOR FUTURE VISA PROCESSING.
- For U.S. citizens: A copy of the FBI background check application form. Due to the lengthy processing time of the FBI background check (see below) please send just a hard copy of your application. Please don't wait to get your original FBI background check in order to send the rest of the hard copies. Send all the hard copies together with the FBI copy of having applied for it; that will be enough to consider you an eligible candidate. On receiving your original FBI background check, make a copy and mail it to the same education office you sent the rest of the hard copies. Keep the original FBI document. You will need it later to apply for your student visa.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether