Information about the campus post office, which is located in Reid Campus Center, can be found on the campus post office page.
We are the Mailing Services team, which is part of the Office of Communications, located in Boyer House. Our team processes outgoing mail, including metering postage, address printing, mail merges, working with shippers and managing USPS postal regulations and requirements. You can also ship packages via FedEx from our office.
USPS Domestic Mail
- Your mail must be at the Mailing Services office (Boyer House) for processing by 2 p.m. to go out the same day.
- Leave the flaps of unsealed envelopes open, especially for large orders.
- All mail should have your name or department to which it is to be charged.
- All parcels will be mailed first class unless marked differently.
USPS International Mail
- All foreign parcels should be identified as such and separated from domestic mail.
- Telephone numbers are mandatory on all international customs forms, per USPS regulation. Use USPS Form 2976 (green customs declaration form) on items weighing less than four pounds containing merchandise, e.g. CDs, food, clothing.
- If weight exceeds four pounds, use USPS form 2976-A. Any overseas military address regardless of weight requires this form. This required form is available at Boyer House or from your department assistant. It has an adhesive strip; please attach the form to the mailing piece so it does not cover the address.
- Utilizing the permits that Whitman College holds reduce your postage costs for large mailings. Please Mary Schmerer if you have any questions regarding which permit your mailing qualifies for.
FedEx items must be at the Mailing Services desk for processing by 2 p.m. in order to go out that day. Weight limit for Express and Ground is 150 pounds. Home delivery is restricted to 70 pounds. Please be sure to complete the required Federal Express Shipping Form. All fields of this form must be completed for your shipment to process, including phone number.
Printing on envelopes and postcards
- We can print return addresses in the upper left corner of envelopes and postcards or on the back flap of invitation-style envelopes.
- We can print addresses directly from your Excel file. All address lists must be in Excel, no Word or other programs. E-mail files to Mary Schmerer. Please contact Mary for your specific project at least two weeks before your mailing deadline.
- We can merge personalized letters to specifically addressed envelope. To receive the best postage rates, please contact Mary Schmerer at x5793 prior to starting your project,
Other mailing services
- Address updates – we can help you update your mailing lists to reflect USPS change of addresses filed within the last 18 months. This eliminates mail being returned or discarded. Any change of address, undeliverable address or corrected addresses will be returned to you so you can update your mail list. Even if you print envelopes in your own office, this service is available.
- Tabbing – this seals folded pieces so they can be processed. USPS requires an adhesive tab mailing piece which is half or tri-folded.
- Folding and inserting – A machine automatically processes these tasks. If more than three pieces are to be inserted in a single envelope, you must contact Mailing Services prior to starting your project.