Nov. 9, 2022: Invitation to Participate in Strategic Priority Review and Planning
Dear Campus Colleagues and Students,
I hope you are well! I’m writing to share some more specifics about our shared work this year reviewing and revising the College’s strategic priorities. This is very important work, as it will help shape the ways that Whitman evolves in future years, to make it an even stronger place for students to learn, thrive, and prepare for their futures.
There are three phases to the planning process.
- Reviewing what has been accomplished in the existing strategic priorities and identifying areas where we may need to modify or elevate our goals and approaches. (Existing priorities are as follows: increasing access and affordability, enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion, connecting to life after Whitman, innovating the curriculum, and celebrating our location.)
- Identifying new strategic priorities that we should add to the existing ones.
- Synthesizing and testing our ideas to finalize revised strategic goals by the end of spring semester.
Our planning process will be strongest if many members of our community participate, bringing each of your perspectives. Based on feedback we have heard from the community on how people would like to provide input, we will hold a set of meetings in a variety of formats to provide opportunities for conversation. In the week of November 28th, we will offer the following options for input regarding possible new priorities, in hopes that those wishing to participate will find a time that works well for them.
- Open discussions for faculty and staff, on Tuesday November 29 at 8:30–9:30 a.m., noon–1 p.m., and 4–5 p.m. in Baker Center.
- Open discussions for students on Monday, November 28 and Thursday, December 1 from 6–7 pm at Reid Coffeehouse.
- Faculty meeting, November 30 4–5 p.m. in Olin Auditorium (this discussion may be brief depending on other items on the meeting agenda).
- Open discussion for staff November 30, 11am–noon Baker Center
- Special Faculty Meeting, December 2nd, noon–1 p.m. (location TBA)
- Survey for all students, staff, faculty and trustees in the week of November 28th.
A town hall on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-racism will also take place on November 30th at 6pm, and will importantly inform our planning as well.
The Steering Committee which is overseeing this process is nearly complete. The members of the Steering Committee are as follows.
- Cabinet members: Sarah Bolton, Rebecca Hanrahan, Peter Harvey, John Johnson, Kazi Joshua, Adam Miller, Gina Ohnstad, Steve Setchell and Alzada Tipton.
- Staff representatives: Monica Chapman and Victoria Wolff
- Faculty representatives: Division Chairs Sharon Alker, John Cotts and Albert Schuller
- Trustee representatives: Nancy Serurrier and Danielle Garbe Reser
- Student representatives: TBA—based on on ASWC nominations
In addition, each of the existing priorities is being reviewed by an implementation group. Please look out for invitations from the implementation groups to discuss revised approaches and goals in the coming months.
The Steering Committee will report out to the community to share a summary of emerging ideas for new priorities at the end of this semester, and conversations will continue in January and through the spring semester.
I look forward very much to working with all of the Whitman community as we shape our college’s future together!
With warm wishes and many thanks,