The Language Learning Center provides support to anyone in the Whitman community who seeks to acquire or improve skills in a second (or third or fourth or fifth!) language. Catch the afternoon news from Beijing, curl up on the couch with a German newspaper, or meet up with a group of classmates to watch and discuss a French film.
Services and Resources Overview
- Language Assistants Program – conversation groups, office hours, and cultural events
- ESL Fellows Program - tutoring for students who speak English as a second (or third!) language
- Links to language resources at Whitman and abroad
- Satellite television broadcasting in Chinese, Japanese, French, and German
- Macs with native language operating systems (Chinese, Japanese, French, German, and Spanish)
- Voice recording and audio editing software
- Tape recorders and digital voice recorders for checkout
- Dedicated conversational spaces and a movie-viewing room
- Games, magazines, newspapers, and books in foreign languages
2013-2014 Language Assistants
Juan Wang (China): Nicole Schumann (Germany); Julia Hernandez Moreno (Spain); Ayana Hatsuda (Japan); Solena Jegousso (France)
Other (more general) online resources
- English dictionary (Oxford English Dictionary) This online dictionary provides extensive etymologies for words.
- English dictionary (Merriam-Webster) This online dictionary provides recordings of the pronunciation of words.
- Ultralingua This website provides online translation, dictionaries, and spelling/grammar checkers in multiple languages.