The Language Learning Center is the hub of foreign language pedagogy at Whitman College. Whether you're taking a language class, preparing to study abroad, or you just want to brush up on your language skills, the LLC is here to help. As part of its mission, the LLC hosts Language Assistants from Germany, Spain, China, France, and Japan. These Language Assistants provide linguistic and cultural enrichment for Whitman College's language departments. The LLC is also the home of Whitman's English Language Fellows (ELF) program, which provides intensive one-on-one peer tutoring to students for whom English is their second (or third) language. In addition, the LLC offers group conversation rooms, computers, printers, specialized language software, and a wide selection of international media.
Services and Resources Overview
- Language Assistants Program – conversation groups, office hours, and cultural events
- ESL Fellows Program - tutoring for students who speak English as a second (or third!) language
- Links to language resources at Whitman and abroad
- Satellite television broadcasting in Chinese, Japanese, French, and German
- Macs with native language operating systems (Chinese, Japanese, French, German, and Spanish)
- Voice recording and audio editing software
- Tape recorders and digital voice recorders for checkout
- Dedicated conversational spaces and a movie-viewing room
- Games, magazines, newspapers, and books in foreign languages
Other (more general) online resources
- English dictionary (Oxford English Dictionary) This online dictionary provides extensive etymologies for words.
- English dictionary (Merriam-Webster) This online dictionary provides recordings of the pronunciation of words.
- Ultralingua This website provides online translation, dictionaries, and spelling/grammar checkers in multiple languages