Washington Anti-Hazing Law, or “Sam’s Law” (RCW 28B.10.906), requires insitutions of higher education to publicly report any incidents of hazing on campus or within its student population.
Spring 2023 Women’s Lacrosse Hazing Summary
Name of the student organization: Women’s Lacrosse
The date the investigation was initiated: Friday, February 24, 2023 - the date that the incident was first reported. The investigation began after this date.
The date the investigation ended with a finding that a violation occurred: Monday, May 8, 2023
Type of incident: Hazing
Description of the incident: The women’s lacrosse team had new members dress in “costumes,” blindfolded and transported the new members to a different location, had the new members perform a skit and brought the new members to a public party while wearing the costumes.
Summary of investigative process:
- Coaches reported incident once they were informed of it from a student athlete.
- Student Conduct was also made aware of the incident from a student athlete.
- Student Conduct Administrator and Director of Athletics met to discuss information and potential investigative plan.
- Coaching staff were asked for an investigatory meeting with the Associate Director of Athletics.
- Each of the three first years were asked to come in for an individual investigatory meeting with the Assistant Director of Athletics.
- Investigatory findings were shared with Student Conduct Administrator and Director of Athletics.
- A finding of responsibility was made by the Student Conduct Administrator.
- Team meeting was held to go over the findings.
After the returning student athletes heard the comments from the new members, they realized that while they felt their activities were constructive, in reality, their actions were harmful to their relationships with the new members. These discussions lead to a complete reworking of their team-building practices.
Details of the sanctions imposed: Every member of the team received a written warning. The team will be on probation for the 2023–2024 year. They will undergo increased educational sessions regarding hazing in the Fall 2023 semester. The captains are required to work with coaches and administration when planning any team activities to ensure that the activities are empowering and inclusive for new members.
The date the organization was charged with a violation: Monday, May 8, 2023
Memorial Building 325
345 Boyer Ave.
Summer Hours: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.