Here are some guidelines that may help you determine when a particular student’s problem would warrant a referral to the Counseling Center.
- A student presents a problem or requests information that is outside your range of knowledge.
- You feel that personality differences between you and the student will interfere with your ability to help the student.
- You feel uncomfortable dealing with the issue or problem.
- A student is hesitant to discuss a problem with you.
- You do not feel that your attempts to help the student have been effective.
- You lack adequate time to listen effectively to the student.
- A student is becoming too dependent upon you.