Main Student Account (AR)

This account is used for tuition, room and board, class fees and miscellaneous charges accrued by using your Whitman ID card to purchase things on campus. Finance charges are assessed monthly on balances over $100.

Student Accounts will mail paper bills twice a year. The first, entitled "Annual Invoice," is mailed in June, with estimated costs for the entire school year, and estimated financial aid. This bill will allow you to calculate the payment amount needed to clear your account for final registration for Fall semester. *** Fall semester payment is due August 14, 2015.

We send another paper billing for Spring semester in mid-December, this one a per-semester statement of account. The statement is forward-dated to include charges for the upcoming semester's charges, estimated financial aid credits if applicable, and a payment amount needed to clear the Business Office Hold on Registration. You will receive this paper billing statement if you have preregistered for classes prior to December. Payment is due after the New Year's holiday, approximately two weeks before the first day of class. Though the campus is usually closed during Winter Break, we do receipt payments and process mail during this time. *** Spring semester payment is due January 5, 2016.

We will notify students via email once a month of their account balance if there is an amount due. These notification emails will be sent around the first of the month starting in October for Fall semester, and February for Spring Semester. There will be no email in December, as that month we will be sending paper statements to home addresses via the US Postal Service for our Spring semester billing.

The email notices will include the amount due as well as a link to an online payment website. We currently only have the capability to send reminders to students at their Whitman email address. Please forward these emails to anyone who helps you manage your expenses. For those who wish to have detail on the charges that created the amount due, the reminder email will include instructions for accessing and printing your statement at

You may preregister for a coming semester no matter what your balance is. However, you may not finalize your registration until the previous term's balance is paid in full.

Payment Plan (PP)

If you have asked Student Accounts to draft a four-month "Deferred Payment Plan" to pay your tuition over time, the agreed upon amount is moved from your AR to this account. You are asked to make four, equal monthly payments, the first to clear your Business Office hold at the beginning of the semester. The remaining three payments are due on the 15th of each subsequent month. There is a $25 set-up fee associated with this service each semester and finance charges are assessed on a monthly basis. At the end of the fourth month of the agreement, any balance owing, or any credit balance from an overpayment, will be moved to your AR account.

Students who have set up a Deferred Payment Plan contract will receive a separate "payment-reminder" email for this account during the months that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th payments are scheduled (September, October and November for Fall semester contracts; and February, March and April for Spring semester contracts).

Tuition, the ASWC fee, room and board charges are eligible to be financed in this manner. Charges for health insurance, course fees, books, and FLEX dollars are not included in a payment plan agreement.

Payment Plan Calculator * Request a Payment Plan

Rental Accounts

These accounts are for Off-Campus Whitman-owned properties, typically rented by upperclassmen. Find a list of properties and more information on this housing option, here.

Collection Policies

We strive to work with our students as much as possible. If you leave school, or graduate, with an amount owing, please contact us to work out payment arrangements.

IRS Form 1098T

This tax credit form is created after the end of the calendar year. Beginning with the calendar year 2013 form, students were given the option of an electronic only form, or a hard copy mailed to their home address. Students will be notified before the end of January each year, that the form is available, and where to access it. All students will have continued access to this form on, but if they selected a hard copy as well, that will be mailed before the end of January.

Educational institutions may choose to complete these forms based on qualified charges to students, or payments received for students. Whitman has chosen to calculate them based on charges assessed. Please include this form when compiling your taxes each year.

If we do not have your Social Security number on file, we may not be able to generate this form for you. Please complete the W-9S form and return it to our office to ensure you receive this form each year.

These forms are generated for US citizens only. For information on similar tax issues for international students, please contact the Intercultural Center, or Laura Nix.

Other Services

The Business Office will cash personal checks made out to currently enrolled students for amounts up to $200.

Need something notarized? We have a notary in our office.

Have a lot of coins? We have coin rolls! Please have your coins counted before you come in.

Need to break that twenty dollar bill? We can make change for you.