ASWC Power & Privilege Symposium
Both the students and administration of Whitman College strive to make our campus a place of diverse cultures, perspectives, and experiences. Although we share our campus, we do not have the same life experiences, based on our race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, political ideology, socioeconomic status, nationality, among others.
The Whitman faculty have cancelled class on a specific day every February so that everyone has a chance to participate in student and faculty led workshops and panels throughout the day.
During the symposium, we seek to challenge students' understanding of their place in the world based on these experiences, and the power dynamics associated with them.
We want people to talk about their own life experiences, and how they have shaped the world where they come from.
We strive to educate on the power structures prevailing around the world, questioning many of the paradigms and assumptions that we grew up with.
To learn about the history of the ASWC Power & Privilege Symposium, current schedule, and archive from previous years, please visit their website.
We are looking for passionate students who are interested in organizing the 2020 Power and Privilege Symposium!
- Director of Programming (2 positions)
- Director of Operations (1 position)
- Director of Marketing & Communications (1 position)
Things you need you to know:
- Candidates must have adequate knowledge of issues surrounding social justice, privilege and oppression.
- Prior experience in event planning/programming, and/or prior involvement with the Power & Privilege Symposium are a plus.
- All students regardless of intersectional social identities or class year are encouraged to apply!
Application Deadline: September 30th, 2019 at 11:59PM PST