Sustainable Revolving Loan Fund
Click Here to Apply Sample Form
Whitman’s Sustainability Revolving Loan Fund (SRLF) provides financial capital to support innovative projects proposed by members of the Whitman community which promote sustainability at Whitman by increasing conservation and efficiency, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the consumption of resources, and creating valuable educational opportunities. The SRLF will be self-sustaining and perpetuated through the reinvestment of the cost savings generated through its projects. As the fund grows over time, it can support even more projects!
The Sustainability Revolving Loan Fund aims to:
- Empower students, faculty, staff, administrators and others in the Whitman community to be proactive and engaged in creating a more sustainable world.
- Provide a mechanism that Whitman can use to invest in itself by capitalizing on the long-term profitability of conservation, efficiency, sustainability and resilience projects.
- Cover the initial costs of these projects while securing the financial return they produce to fund future initiatives, making such projects increasingly more feasible over time.
- Demonstrate that investment in sustainability and resilience projects is an influential method of practicing fiscal responsibility.
- Catalyze the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, with an ultimate goal of carbon neutrality.
- Model advantageous approaches to sustainability and resilience for other educational institutions, organizations, businesses, governmental bodies, and individuals in our local, regional, state, national, and global communities.
Any member of the Whitman community may propose a project.
- Read the SRLF Charter in full – understanding the nuances of the SRRF will help you develop a successful proposal.
- Develop your project proposal using the SRLF Proposal Form. Look at past proposals of projects funded with the SRLF to help you formulate your ideas. Reach out to the Campus Sustainability Coordinator early in the process for guidance in developing a successful project.
- Submit your proposal. The Office of Sustainability will receive it, review it, and work with you until your proposal is satisfactorily thorough.
- The Office of Sustainability will accept your proposal and send it to the SRLF Committee members for individual review.
- The SRLF Committee will meet to discuss and vote on approving funding for proposals. It is highly recommended you attend this meeting to represent your project!