Student ID Card Photos
New incoming first-year and transfer students are able to submit their own photographs for their Whitman student ID card. Incoming students will receive instructions about how to submit their photos in their Whitman email. Be sure to activate your Whitman email early! Photos must be submitted by June 15.
Students who are unable to submit a photo may choose to have their image taken during New Student Orientation. You can have your photo taken and pick up your completed ID in the Reid Campus Center during check-in.
The image you submit for your student ID card must meet the following guidelines:
- A current color photo in .jpg format.
- Photo must be least 300x375 pixels, with a file size no larger than 2 MB or 2048 KB.
- Face and shoulders must be clearly visible and facing forward.
- Photo must have a uniform light-colored background — passport photos are best!
- Photo must have proper lighting with no shadows or glares.
- Eyes are visible and open with no sunglasses, hats or other items that obscure the face.
- Student must be the only person in the picture with no other objects in the photo (for example, hands, doors, pets, windows or trees).
Here are some examples:
1. To achieve a neutral color smooth background you can use:
- Poster board
- A plain wall
2. To achieve clear image quality avoid images that are:
- Dark or shadowed
- To check photo size, use a photo editor, image size is up 2 MB or 2048 KB.
(Generally you can right click on a photo and under Properties to view size.)
- Note: Photographs are best taken with a real flash camera. Cell phone cameras tend to pixelate and soften photographs, which might cause your photo to be denied.
3. Avoid photos with other visible people or objects.