B-1 is a business visa and WB is a waiver visa for business purposes. Either a B-1 or WB must be obtained if a department wishes to cover travel expenses for a visit of more than 9 days. Departments can reimburse these visa types for up to three months.

No additional forms are required to reimburse travel expenses to a B-1 or WB visa holder. A copy of the visitor's I-94 departure card should be attached to any travel reimbursement.

Honoraria payments can be made to B-1 or WB visa holders if the activity does not exceed 9 days.

There is no specific visa document to send visitors who will be coming on B-1 (Business) or WB (Waived Business) visas. The Office of International Services strongly recommends, however, that the department provide a letter including the following information to all foreign nationals who are to be reimbursed for travel and expenses for visits of more than nine days. Including a sample I-94 is especially helpful in emphasizing that the I-94 departure record is the document that determines eligibility for reimbursement, not the visa stamp.

Sample Letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Although we are unable to offer an honorarium, we will be covering your [accommodation, per diem, travel expenses]. Because your visit to Walla Walla is longer than nine days, you must have B-1 (Business) or WB (Waived Business, for no-visa countries) status in order for the university to [reimburse, cover] these expenses. Your status will be indicated on the I-94 Departure Record you are given by the Immigration Service on entry to the U.S., not by the visa stamp in your passport.

The I-94 is a small card, usually stapled to the passport; see enclosed photocopy. A B-1 or B-1/B-2 visa stamp in your passport is not sufficient. Whitman cannot reimburse your expenses or cover charges unless the Immigration Service clearly marks B-1 or WB on the I-94 card when you enter the United States. Please check your I-94 carefully before you leave the Immigration check at the airport.