Thank you for agreeing to speak at Whitman College. We look forward to your presentation. (Explain presentation-area of specialization, title of presentation, etc.) (NOTE: must be on campus and benefit the College)
We anticipate your stay on campus to be from XXX to XXX. (***NOTE: must be less than 9 days)
You will need to apply for a B-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of residence. We suggest you do this as soon as possible.
A complete B-1 visa application will include the following:
- Proof that you are properly classifiable as a B-1 visitor for business. You may present a copy of this correspondence with your application.
- Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses.
- Proof of residence abroad and intent to return.
- Passport, valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.
- "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" (forms are available without charge at all U.S. consular offices or through the Department of State Visa Services web site
- Two photos, 1 and ½ inches square, showing full face, without head covering, against a light background.
- Fee, if applicable.
Visitors in B-1 status are allowed to receive reimbursements for incidental expenses related to your visit. The total amount of such reimbursements cannot exceed what is considered reasonable as a business expense. Please provide receipts to our office for transportation, lodging and meals.
Under the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998 (ACWIA) Whitman College will pay you an honorarium for your presentation of $XXX. Please note that you are not allowed to accept an honorarium from more than five institutions or organizations in any six month period. We will require a copy of your B-1 visa prior to payment of the honorarium.