Opera Workshop Auditions
Audition Guidelines for Fall 2021 Season
PLEASE NOTE: All vocal activities will strictly adhere to Whitman College COVID-19 protocols, including requiring masks for all opera auditions, rehearsals, and performances, regardless of vaccination status.
- Auditions for the Fall 2021 Season will take place on Tuesday, August 31st and Thursday, September 2nd–both days from 4:00 pm to 5:20 pm.
- Every Opera member must prepare an audition. This audition is more of a “check-in” opportunity for you to share your talents with us and to show what your voice can do. Therefore, you should pick a song that showcases your voice at its very best!
- You will be singing for Opera faculty only: artistic director and pianist. Auditions will be private and closed to other students.
- Prepare 1 excerpt, fragment or section of a song (e.g. one verse, chorus, A section, B section, first two pages of a song) Excerpt must be memorized and in either classical style (opera aria, art song, folk song, hymn) or musical theatre/CCM style (Broadway show, jazz, pop, musical movie).
- You are highly encouraged to sing a full-length solo, however, it is not required. If you are not sure what to sing, don't worry, we'll figure it out, don't let that stop you from joining!
- If you would like to be considered for a lead role, you are highly encouraged to perform a full-length aria for your audition.
- An accompanist will be provided for your audition. If you prefer to use a pre-recorded track (this applies to contemporary or commercial styles) you may do so.
How do I join? Follow these 4 easy steps:
- Register for Opera Workshop online using the course number MUS-251-A.
- Pick your repertoire, practice, make sure to prepare sheet music for our accompanist if applicable. (If you’re not sure what to sing, contact me-Dr. Jessica Posada-and I will help you with this!)
- Fill out the Opera Audition Survey, by clicking on the link.
- Register for an audition slot by clicking on the link.
Who can join Opera Workshop?
Do you love to sing? Do you love singing with others? Do you enjoy being on a stage and wearing a costume? Then, Opera Workshop is the perfect ensemble for you! Regardless of singing experience or training, any student may join Opera Workshop! Students who are offered a role or cast in a scene are encouraged to register for voice lessons.
If you have any questions about auditions, repertoire or registering, feel free to contact Director, Dr. Jessica Posada at email@example.com