Whitman College invites all students with an interest in theater and/or dance to apply for the President’s Scholarship in Theater and Dance. The department recognizes that not all incoming students have had equal access or opportunities to develop skills and experience in theater and dance prior to coming to Whitman. Students who apply should demonstrate a strong commitment to making a contribution to the Theater and Dance department during their entire time at Whitman College. BIPOC, LGBTQ, and first-generation college students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Scholarship recipients are expected to be active contributors to the department by participating in at least one production in the Harper Joy Theater during each semester they are enrolled at Whitman. By the end of their second year, students who have received the President’s Scholarship should have worked in at least two different areas of theatre and dance such as acting, design, dance, dramaturgy, playwrighting, directing, stage management, technical theatre, production/ theater management, educational outreach, or marketing. During their junior and senior years, Whitman students who have received the President’s Scholarships are expected to take on leadership roles, as well as mentor newer students in the Theater and Dance department. Recipients will be reviewed at the end of each academic year by the Theater and Dance faculty to ensure they are meeting the terms and requirements of their scholarship.
President’s Scholarship in Theater and Dance Application Process
- Apply for Admission to Whitman: In order to be eligible for the President's Scholarship, you must apply for admission to Whitman College. Apply now!
- Submit Financial Aid Forms: Both your FAFSA and CSS Profile must be submitted to the appropriate agencies by their respective deadlines if you intend to apply for need-based financial aid.
- Access the President’s Scholarship Application: Log in to your applicant portal for important audition information, application requirements and deadlines.
Required Application Materials
All applicants must upload the following materials in .doc or .pdf format:
- A resume of experience in theater, dance, or related skills;
- Two letters of recommendation pertaining to your theater experience; and
- Please mark the areas of the department you would like to be considered for and upload the requirements as directed in the applicant portal for each area:
- Educational Outreach
- Stage Managing
- Technical Theater
- Production or Theater Management
- Marketing for Theater & Dance
*Please note students applying in the area of Playwriting, materials are due at least two weeks in advance of your interview.
If you have any additional questions regarding the audition or interview procedures, please contact the Theater and Dance Department directly at 509-527-5279.
If you are applying Early Decision, your scholarship application is due five days after the application deadline. If you are applying for regular decision, you have until January 23, 2024, to get your scholarship application in!
- Early Decision I Talent Scholarship Application Deadline: November 20, 2023
- Early Decision II Talent Scholarship Application Deadline: January 15, 2024
- Regular Decision Talent Scholarship Application Deadline: January 23, 2024
In the lobby of the Harper Joy Theatre
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Monday - Friday: 12:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.