How to Major or Minor
Interested in German Studies? Check out the German Studies Flowchart.
The major in German Studies:
- 36 Credits
- Required Courses
- German Studies 352
- 4 credits in a course taught in German Studies at Whitman at the 350 level or above
- 12 credits in courses taught in German Studies at the 300 level or above
- 18 credits of coursework that may include German Studies courses at the 200 level or above, or may be a combination of German at the 200 level or above and up to 12 credits in approved affiliated German Studies courses. Regularly approved affiliated courses in German Studies are available in a variety of departments
- Other notes
- Up to 12 credits of transfer or study abroad credits may be accepted as German Studies with consent of the German Studies faculty.
- German Studies allows up to eight credits in approved German Studies courses from other majors to count toward the German Studies major requirements
- Courses taken P-D-F prior to the declaration of a language major or minor will satisfy course and credit requirements for the major or minor
- Independent Study courses may count toward the major
- Senior Requirements
- The thesis is written in English, but students must work with texts in the original German. Because these theses are so interdisciplinary in nature, we require an outside reader whose area of academic specialization can enhance the development and assessment of the thesis. The outside reader is not necessarily from the affiliated faculty, but rather the person on the Whitman faculty who has the most expertise in the student’s subject matter and is willing to serve.
- Senior Comprehensive Examination
- Discussion of an assigned significant text in German literature
- Discussion of an assigned selection of currently scholarly work in German Studies, chosen by the faculty. In the course of the examination, students will need to demonstrate engagement in the interdisciplinary field of German Studies as well as a broad knowledge of German literature, history, and culture.
- Students do not apply for admission to candidacy for honors
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.300 on all credits earned at Whitman College
- Major GPA of at least 3.500
- Complete a written thesis or research project prepared exclusively for the satisfaction of this program
- Earn a grade of at least A- on the honors thesis or project and the honors thesis course
- Pass the senior assessment with distinction
- Chair of the department will notify the Registrar of students attaining Honors no later than the beginning of week 12 of the semester.
- An acceptable digital copy of the Honors Thesis must be submitted to Penrose Library no later than Reading Day
The minor in German Studies:
- 20 Credits
- Required Courses
- 12 credits in German Studies 300 level or above
- 8 credits that may include German Studies courses at the 200 level or above or, may be a combination or German Studies courses at the 200 level or above and up to 8 credits in approved affiliated German Studies courses. Regularly approved affiliated courses in German Studies are available in a variety of departments
- Other notes
- Up to 8 credits from other majors or minors may count toward the German Studies minor requirements
- Courses taken P-D-F prior to declaration of the minor may be used to satisfy requirements
- Independent study credits do not count toward the minor