Chemistry Placement Tool
Please read the following thoroughly before continuing to the (General) Chemistry Placement Tool.
We want to ensure that you, a Whitman student who wishes to take General Chemistry, can enroll in a course that is best suited to your level of preparation. Before registering for and taking General Chemistry you must take this Chemistry Placement Tool (CPT) so that we can ensure you are in the course which best suits you. Note that CHEM 125 (lecture) and CHEM 135 (lab) are for students regardless of whether or not they took high school chemistry. Based on demonstrated need in the area of quantitative reasoning on the CPT, some students will have the opportunity to take the supplementary 1-credit CHEM 111 course to support their learning in CHEM 125/135. Students who demonstrate more advanced chemistry preparation on either the CPT, the Chemistry AP Test, or Chemistry IB (HL) might be encouraged to take the accelerated one-semester Advanced General Chemistry (CHEM 140). More details (course descriptions, prerequisites, etc.) are available in the course listings in the Whitman College Catalog.
To take the placement tool, you must follow the Google form link below and log in using your whitman email address. If you are in a location where access to Google is restricted, please contact Professor Nate Boland (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we determine the best way to provide you with a copy of the CPT.
The CPT consists of three parts (a demographic survey, and two content sections: A and B). Part A assesses your math skills and quantitative reasoning (20 questions) and part B evaluates your understanding of chemistry concepts typically covered in high school chemistry courses (30 questions). Here are a few things you should keep in mind when you decide to take the CPT.
- We encourage you to take the CPT “as you are” without extensive studying.
- To ensure that you are placed in the course(s) that will best serve you, please do not use any other resources.
- You need ONLY pencils, scratch paper, and a calculator to complete the tool.
- A periodic table and all relevant constants are provided.
- You may only take this placement tool ONCE, so please be prepared to complete it in one sitting.
- You may take as long as you wish to complete it.
- You must answer EVERY question in order to submit your completed CPT. If you are completely unfamiliar with a particular problem or don't remember how to solve it, please select either "I've never seen a question like this before" or "I've seen this before, but forgot" instead of selecting a random answer. It will allow us to better understand your level of preparation and provide you the resources you need.
- As you begin each section, you may scroll through the questions and answer them in any order, but you must answer all questions in that section before moving to the next section.
- You can move between answered sections and may change your answers at any time PRIOR to hitting the "Submit" button at the end of the CPT.
- Once you hit "Submit," your answers will be sent to the Chemistry department and the tool will end.
Prior to registration the Chemistry Department will communicate with you and the registrar's office about which course(s) are most suitable for you. Please note that it may take several days for your results to be synced with the Registrar's system. If you have any questions about General Chemistry, please contact Professor Tim Machonkin at email@example.com If you have any technical questions about the placement tool, please contact Professor Nate Boland at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to speak with your academic adviser prior to registration about how general chemistry fits into your academic plan.
We look forward to having you in our General Chemistry classes!