In addition to the college's stated priority to hire students with expressed financial need, an incentive to hire Work Study students is the hourly-wage subsidy provided by Federal and State Work Study Programs.
The Value of Work Study
- Support our students. Whitman students with Work Study offers have a specified financial contribution they must meet-ideally, by working on campus. When you hire qualified Work Study students, you help students to meet their commitments and reduce their personal loan rate.
- Save money and get more work done. Partial wage reimbursements of typically 20% of student wages up to allowed maximums. This means more work gets done at a lower cost.
- Shape the workforce. Train and mentor college students, ensuring graduates have the experience employers need.
There are a few simple steps to filling a student position in your office. Below is information about the resources available to help you.
iEngage is an online job-search network for students. On- and off-campus jobs are posted through the system, with customizable Search Agents that can send students email updates based on their selected search preferences.
Note: The purpose of iEngage is to centralize all job postings for easy access to all students. If you choose to advertise differently contact the Student Engagement Center to link your advertising to iEngage. Refer to the handbook for instructions for using iEngage.
Additional advertising on your website, through social media, targeted emails, or listserv announcements is advisable. Contact the Student Engagement Center for additional help.
- All student employees MUST have a completed Federal Employment Eligibility Form (Form I-9) on file on or prior to their 1st day of employment. You can check this by searching the name of the student on my.whitman.edu. Please refer your students to the Human Resources office if they do not have employment forms turned in.
- Complete the Student Employment Hiring Form which can be found on the Human Resources website. This form can be used to add, delete, or change wages for student employees.
- Have a great experience working with your student employee.