Returning Students - Registration
Fall 2023 Start of the Semester Information
- All students must complete Student Check-In.
- Student check-in begins on Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
- Advisor Clearance is not required to complete Student Check-in.
- Student Check-in must be done by Friday, September 8, 2023.
- If not completed, students may be locked out of their accounts (e.g., Canvas, email, my.whitman.edu
To complete Student Check-in and Clear Holds:
- Access the Registration section of myWhitman
- Under “Planning and Registration” section you will see Check In and Holds
*Remember: Student Check-in must be completed by Friday, September 8, 2023.
To clear any additional holds:
- Access myWhitman.
- Select “Planning and Registration” page. Look for Check In and Holds. Once a hold is cleared it will disappear.
- Provide Campus Alert Information. Please provide a number where you wish to receive campus alert information.
- Financial Responsibility. You will be asked to agree to the Financial Responsibility statement.
- Contact the appropriate office to obtain clearance if needed. Contact information is as follows:
- Business Office: 509-527-5143
- Financial Aid:509-527-5178
- Health Center: 509-527-5281
- Registrar’s Office: 509-527-5983
Do you wish to add or drop a course?
- Obtain advisor clearance. Advisor clearance is required to add or drop a course.
- Contact your advisor and discuss course adding/dropping. Remind advisor to clear you.
- Access myWhitman and click on “Course Planning and Registration”
- Add/drop appointment times for Monday August 28, 2023 are listed below. Students will be allowed access to add/drop at the appointment time for their class and will continue to have access during the entire add/drop period.
Class of 2023/2024 start at 8:00am (Pacific/Walla Walla Time)
Class of 2025 start at 10:00am
Class of 2026 start at Noon
Class of 2027 start at 2pm
*Add/Drop ends on Friday September 8.
- To add a class:
- Add the course to your Plan with the Search for Courses feature. You can narrow it to Fall 2023 and hit search and then select Open sections only. When you have selected the course, add the course to your plan (again, make sure to use Fall 2023 term)
- On the "Plan and Schedule" page, find the course you just added to your plan in the left column, select one of the sections for that course and add it to your schedule. It should then appear on your schedule to the right
- Click on “Register Now” or the blue button “Register” by that course and you will be registered for that course.
- To drop a class:
- In Course Planning click the “Drop” button to remove a course from your schedule
- If a course has a co-requisite such as a Lab. You will need to “Drop” that course at the same time.
- Verify your schedule in the “Current Schedule” section to ensure your schedule is correct.
Interested in academic overload? Only sophomores, juniors and seniors eligible!
- Academic overload is exceeding 18 academic credits. (Activity credits do not count toward academic overload).
- Academic Overload Approval. You will need to obtain approval for academic overload. See below requirements for completing the approval process.
Requirements to enroll in an academic overload are as follows:
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Students must have a 3.50 or higher previous semester’s GPA in courses completed at Whitman.
- Students must obtain signatures from their adviser and their previous semester’s instructors at Whitman using the Academic Overload Form, available in the Registrar’s Office or online at: https://www.whitman.edu/offices-and-services/registrar/services-for-students-and-alumni/forms
- Complete the form and copy ALL of your professors from the most recently completed semester at Whitman and the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a professor is on sabbatical note that on your form and a signature is not needed.
- Once we receive your academic overload form, we will process your request. We will email you confirmation when your academic overload form has been processed and approved.
- Students must submit the Academic Overload form to the Registrar’s Office for final approval.
- Requests for more than 18 academic credits that do not meet the above criteria, or those requesting more than 22 academic credits, will be reviewed by the Board of Review. Approval will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances in which there is crucial need to take an academic overload (such as the need to graduate).
- You may contact the Registrar’s Office through a Live Chat This will be available from
August 289 through September 1, 2023 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Live Chat will be located at the bottom right of the registration screen in the portal.
Student Check-in begins Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
Add/Drop begins Monday August 28, 2023, at your assigned time.
Classes begin Tuesday August 29, 2023.
Memorial Building 212
345 Boyer Ave
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Phone: 509-527-5983 Fax: 509-522-4431