Student Research Funding
Please submit your application to the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, c/o Ruth Ladderud (email@example.com) as an e-mail attachment. Applications are reviewed and considered when received.
NOTE: Although the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty makes funds available for conference and thesis travel, excused absences cannot be granted for class missed due to thesis or conference participation unless the event is organized by a department. Otherwise, it is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with their professor(s). We typically will not support travel if the student will miss more than three consecutive days of class.
Conference Presentation Travel
- The student must be enrolled at Whitman College at the time of registration.
- A confirmation that your research has been accepted for presentation and a faculty sponsor email or letter are required to be submitted with the application before the budget can be approved.
- Maximum available funding for combined student thesis and student conference travel is $1,200 per student per academic year. Food should not be included in the budget.
- Faculty travel expenses for the conference are not covered by Student Research Funding.
- If a department is sending students to the conference as a group, the department will be responsible for organizing the event, providing the list of student presenters and submitting a detailed group budget to the Office of the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, c/o Ruth Ladderud (firstname.lastname@example.org), as well as requesting excused absences for the students.
- Poster printing costs are not reimbursable.
- The travel must be related to the student’s thesis work.
- A letter of support from your advisor is required.
- Maximum available funding for student thesis travel is $400.
Eligible student research costs:
- Registration Fees & Membership Dues – If the combined cost of the membership and registration is less than the basic registration fee, it is expected that you will apply for membership.
No reimbursement will be made for food or meals with the exception of those included in the registration.
Original receipts must be provided for ALL reimbursement requests.
In order to accurately determine availability of funding, please submit receipts within 30 days of the completion of your travel.