Before going abroad, students may want to give power of attorney to a family member or friend in the U.S. This procedure officially authorizes another person to handle a variety of financial and legal matters on the student’s behalf during their stay abroad. A person with power of attorney may do the following on a student’s behalf: cash an income tax check, endorse a loan check, close a bank account (in case of a lost checkbook), or order a transcript. Standard forms are available at the Off-Campus Studies as well as at most banks and large real estate firms. The Off-Campus Studies Office at Whitman has a staff member who can notarize these forms. If a student receives any financial aid or loan checks for their studies, they should leave a copy of their Power of Attorney form with Whitman’s Office of Financial Aid Services.