Before going abroad, students should back up and copy all important documents and papers. Depending on where they are traveling, students will want to make 2 printed copies of the following:
- Passport (the identification page)
- Travel insurance
- Driver’s license
- Health information
- Travel itinerary
- Vaccination certificates (Some countries require a vaccination certificate for specific infectious diseases.
- Any other pre-paid confirmations
Students should leave one printed copy at home and take with them the other copy in case they cannot access their electronic copies for some reason. Paper copies can be placed in a zippered plastic bag (protection from moisture) and packed in the carry-on bag or suitcase.
Electronic copies of travel documents save space and aggravation. Guard them closely as they could cause a lot of harm with identity thieves. Secure online documents with a password. Students will want to be sure that their portable devices and laptops are secured with a password as well.
- Scan documents and store them electronically
- Send them to an email account
- Store them on a memory stick and take that instead
- Store them in the online cloud
- Store them on a portable device or laptop