OCS Transcripts and Whitman GPA
Where should a student’s study abroad transcripts be sent?
- All students studying on an OCS program should make sure that their OCS program knows to send their program transcript directly to Whitman College when their OCS semester is completed. It should be sent directly to: Off-Campus Studies, Whitman College, 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362, U.S.A. Without an official transcript, Whitman will not be able to award transfer credit.
What makes a transcript “official”?
- To be considered official, all transcripts must be received by Whitman Off-Campus Studies (or the Whitman Registrar) either directly from the program by mail or hand-delivered in an unopened university/program envelope. Copies, non-official transcripts, opened transcripts and “Issued to Student” transcripts are considered unofficial documents, and cannot be accepted under any circumstances.
Why might a program transcript be delayed?
- The program is waiting for grades to be submitted by the foreign faculty or foreign university.
- The student owes money to the program for an outstanding bill or fines (library, lost key, and room damage). Programs will not release student transcripts until payment for all outstanding bills have been received.
How long does it take for Whitman to post OCS credits on the Whitman record once a transcript has been received?
- Once Whitman receives an OCS transcript, processing can take up to 2 to 4 weeks depending on the workload of the Registrar’s office.
OCS GRADES & THE WHITMAN RECORD
How does a student’s grades from OCS impact their academic record?
- OCS grades for semester and year-long partner programs are posted the student’s Whitman transcript. Regardless of whether a student earns an “A” grade or an “F” grade abroad, all grades are posted on the student’s Whitman academic record. However, a student can only apply transfer credit toward their Whitman degree from courses for which they earn a C- or higher grade.
- Grades transferred from study abroad courses are not, however, averaged into the Whitman cumulative gpa or major gpa, and do not impact eligibility for honors at graduation.
- Even though OCS grades do not impact a student’s Whitman gpa, graduate schools, professional schools and employers will likely consider the OCS grades along with the Whitman gpa. For this reason, OCS course grades do “count” and should not be considered as pass/fail only.