Welcome to Whitman College Off-Campus Studies (OCS)! We believe that an understanding of a culture or region other than one's own is an important part of a liberal arts education and a key to developing future leaders in an increasingly interdependent global society. The Off-Campus Studies Office, Memorial Hall 205, is supported by the faculty Off-Campus Studies Committee in its oversight of Whitman's off-campus studies programming.
- 45% of Whitman students study away on an OCS program, including semester, Crossroads, summer and domestic programs.
- 37% of Whitman students study abroad for at least one semester and students from all majors are able to participate.
- Whitman is partnered with various study abroad organizations to offer 88+ semester/year-long Partner Programs in 44 countries.
- Whitman off-campus studies Partner Programs can accommodate various learning styles, depending on how exactly you wish to immerse yourself in another culture/community. Program types include direct enrollment at foreign universities, study with other U.S. students at study abroad centers overseas, and community-based/field-based study programs that offer a hand-on learning approach.
- Whitman also offers 4 semester-long U.S. Partner Programs in fields as diverse as: US politics (AU Washington Semester Program), urban studies and professional internships (The Philadelphia Center TPC), acting conservatory (The Eugene O'Neill National Theatre Institute NTI) and oceanography - maritime studies (SEA Semester).
- Students can apply their Whitman need-based aid and merit scholarships toward the fees of all Partner Programs.
- In Summer 2017 Whitman began offering Crossroads Courses, Whitman faculty-led, short-term courses in various destinations worldwide. These new Crossroads Courses will be offered in Summer 2018. Whitman need-based aid is available for eligible students.
- The Whitman in China teaching program, established in 1982, is a program exclusively for Whitman graduates that has sent over 200 alumni to teach English at the university-level in China.
Off-Campus Studies Mission Statement
Off-Campus Studies at Whitman College aims to develop in our students intercultural skills and global understanding for a lifetime of leadership. We endeavor to achieve this goal by:
- Providing off-campus study opportunities worldwide that offer high-quality academic content, instruction and evaluation.
- Expanding learning opportunities for students and integrating the learning off-campus into their academic program to the fullest extent possible.
- Promoting programs that increase a student’s foreign language and intercultural fluency.
- Offering programs that foster an ability to question assumptions and think critically in the context of other worldviews.
- Ensuring that programs are well integrated into the host community and encourage immersion of the student into the host culture.
- Developing the means by which returning students can actively contribute to international awareness and programming on campus, as well as in the Walla Walla community.
For more information, please browse our website or contact the OCS office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help you make your off-campus studies plans a reality!