Baker Center dedication
Overseer George Osborne ’66 and President George Bridges raise a toast to the completion of the Baker Center remodel.

On Nov. 8, 2013, Governing Board members gathered to dedicate the newly renovated Baker Center.

Over the summer, work crews added updates to the 1904 building and created offices for Alumni Relations and Annual Giving staff members upstairs. The improvements were made possible by a leadership gift from Overseer George R. Osborne, Jr. ’66. On the main floor, the large gathering area was named the Osborne Commons in his honor.

Improvements to the stately, colonial-style mansion include the addition of a meeting room equipped for video conferencing and a dining room and kitchen to facilitate social functions.

Originally built by Mabel Ida Baker Anderson and Louis Anderson, an early Whitman professor, the house was bought by the college in 1956 and has served as a reception area.