Society needs critical thinkers, people who can conceive and articulate ideas, who have the broad perspective afforded by a Whitman education. Now, more than ever, the world needs Whitman.
Academic Strength: $75 million
- Broaden and deepen the curriculum through strategic additions to the faculty
- Cultivate innovation and excellence in teaching and learning
- Increase extraordinary learning experiences for students
- Support the facilities and equipment necessary for a quality education
- Prepare students to lead in a globally connected world
Access and Affordability: $50 million
- Endow need-based scholarships
- Bolster merit/talent awards
Financial Strength: $25 million
- Build the unrestricted endowment for flexibility
- Increase yearly contribution from the Annual Fund for long-term stability
— President George S. Bridges
As we seek to educate the next generation of innovators, leaders, and informed and responsible citizens, how Whitman enhances the traditional strengths of a liberal arts education will directly influence how effectively our graduates meet the challenges of the 21st century. The intention is to create a student experience that nurtures cross-disciplinary thinkers who relate well to different cultures and who will make a difference in their communities and our world. The Now Is the Time campaign makes an unprecedented commitment to the realization of these aspirations.
The support of Whitman alumni, parents and friends will be vital to the success of this effort. In the previous pages, you have read in the campaign timeline about leadership gifts that created new programs and opportunities. Just as importantly, more than $7.6 million in unrestricted Annual Fund gifts have propelled this campaign forward and supported students in a multitude of ways.
Moving forward, we simply will not be able to meet our ambitious goals without increased commitments from our loyal supporters. Your campaign gift to the Annual Fund will:
- create opportunities for students by strengthening the faculty and advancing Whitman’s rigorous curriculum,
- help ensure that a Whitman education remains affordable and that we are able to maintain our historical commitment to deserving students who would be unable to attend without scholarship aid and
- provide the long-term financial stability that will allow Whitman to continue to educate thoughtful and committed community leaders for generations to come.