... for more than a century, the crossroads of Whitman College
Ankeny Field, circa 1907 (courtesy of the Whitman College and Northwest Archives)
Since 1902, with money donated by college trustee, banker and U.S. Sen. Levi Ankeny, Ankeny Field has been at the center of life at Whitman College. The baseball diamond, football gridiron and quarter-mile track of those early years have since made way for an unbroken carpet of grass, surrounded by sheltering trees and buildings and facilities — from residence halls to academic buildings and tennis courts — that reflect the balance of a Whitman education. Ankeny serves as footpath, bike trail, gathering place, study hall, classroom and all-purpose recreation zone for today’s students. On any given day, this field at the center of campus pulses with life — academic, recreational or simply the practical aspects of getting to and fro. It also is a haven for photography in all seasons and all weather as this collection of images illustrates.
Text and photos (except as noted) by Greg Lehman.
Rainbow over Ankeny: Photo by Cody Clifton ’10.