The magazine Business Insider ranked Whitman No. 3 in Best College Campuses. The college finished just behind Bowdoin and Claremont McKenna.
Business Insider used rankings from the The Princeton Review's "The Best 378 Colleges: 2014 Edition" regarding architecture, services and facilities to form its Best College Campuses list. The Princeton Review ranked Whitman No. 5 in the “Best health services” category, No. 9 in “Best college library,” “No. 6 in “Easiest campus to get around” and No. 10 in “Best quality of life.” These high marks helped the college secure its top ranking on the Best College Campuses list.
“The campus doubles as an outdoor art museum with over 20 sculptures located around the school,” noted Business Insider.
Whitman’s 77-acre campus strikes a balance between the academic, the professional, the social and the personal. Standout features include:
- The Ethernet- and wireless-capable Allen Reading Room within the state-of-the-art Penrose Library, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Research laboratories in the recently remodeled Hall of Science, designed for collaboration between students and professors.
- The Reid Campus Center, which serves as a gathering place for the entire Whitman community. Students also rent sports equipment from the Outdoor Program rental office housed there.
- The centrally located Ankeny Field, home to the college’s intramural sports competition, in which more than 75 percent of Whitman students participate.
- Venues for art and cultural events, such as Harper Joy Theatre, Cordiner Hall concert auditorium and Donald H. Sheehan Art Gallery.
- Great spots for solitary reflection, quiet conversation, or socializing, such as the Cordiner Glen, the Whitman Amphitheater and Lakum Duckum.